We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Kilkenny in February

denver
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Visiting Kilkenny in February

I will be spending 7 nights in February in Kilkenny. I have a few questions:

1. I will have a car and am looking for advice on "must do" day trips from there as a base.

2. Is there usually a lot of snow or just rain this time of year?

3. Any restaurants or tours that are a must?

5 replies to this topic
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
163 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Visiting Kilkenny in February

Kilkenny is a beautiful city, there is a castle and a lot of restaurants. The Rock of Dunamase is nearby it's a very cool ruined castle on a high hill overlooking the surrounding area. Glendalough is also nearby as are the Wicklow mountains, Powerscourt Waterfall and the Rock of Cashel. I would list all these as must sees in the area, as well as Waterford.

Weather is hit or miss I have never gone in February but I can tell you the days will be VERY short so get a early start each day. I would bet that there will be snow in the Wicklow Mountains, but Ireland is pretty much temperate much like Seattle Washington so nothing to extreme unless something extreme moves in off the Atlantic.

County Tipperary...
Level Contributor
6,892 posts
1 review
2. Re: Visiting Kilkenny in February

I wouldn't say that Glendalough and the Wicklow mountains are 'near' to Kilkenny, and getting to them in February might not be the easiest. There is lots more to see from Kilkenny - including a lot of nice little villages close by. The weather could be anything from snow through to unseasonable mild sunny days - sometimes happens in February.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
99 posts
3. Re: Visiting Kilkenny in February

I loved kilkenny but 7 nights is a lot to be based there. I would move to the southwest like Killarney or Kemmare after a few days. Not sure what the off season pub scene will be like but really liked Kytelers in Kilkenny.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
284 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Visiting Kilkenny in February

I wouldn’t try Glendalough from Kilkenny without knowing how the roads will be in the mountains . And they aren’t “ near” to each other in Irish terms!

You could use Kilkenny as a base for day trips to the Rock of Cashel, Kells Priory and Jerpoint abbey and the various artisan producers in the Kilkenny area as well as Castlecomer Discovery Park , Waterford city might appeal too- it’s more than just a glass showrooms !

Kytlers is Very touristy, not really somewhere locals go , unless they are bringing tourist friends there .

What type of food do you like and what’s your budget for say , dinner?

Edited: 14 November 2018, 11:50
County Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Cork
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
135 reviews
5. Re: Visiting Kilkenny in February

7 nights is a long time for Kilkenny. I'd break it up with 3 or 4 days somewhere else.

Reply to: Visiting Kilkenny in February
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted