We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paddle Wagon Tours question

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Paddle Wagon Tours question

Hi, we will be staying in Adare for 6 nights and planning on taking several road trips. I've been debating between visiting Dingle Peninsula and/or Ring of Kerry. I've also looked into day tours which Paddle Wagon tours offers from Limerick to both locations. Do you think it would be worthwhile to see both or just visit one area? Has anyone done the paddle wagon tours to either of these places? Although, we'll have a rental car, we've never driven on the "opposite" side of the road and a bit hesitant. Any advise would be great appreciated!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paddle Wagon Tours question

Why would you choose to go on a plastic Paddy type trip on a bus where your every minute will be accounted for when you could drive and stop when and where you want? If you can drive on one side of the road, you can drive on the other!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,749 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paddle Wagon Tours question

There's a book that says "Feel the Fear and Do it Anyhow". Basically what it is saying is that by feeling the fear you will embrace your fears and make your life richer.

You will find the same thing when you start driving on Irish roads. You may be apprehensive at first but as you gain confidence you will realise that you can conquer your fears and be the person you want to be. Which is someone who will be able to see Ireland at your own pace.

The road between Adare and Killarney is generally very good and the Ring of Kerry road has been significantly widened and improved in recent years.

The road between Adare and Dingle is the same road as far as Castleisland and after that it changes but by that time you will be confident.

Remember that if you're feeling a bit nervous pull in somewhere safe and take a few minutes to stand and look at the scenery. If you are lost, stop and ask. We are generally delighted to help. In fact you may find that the difficulty may be in ending the assistance rather than initiating it :o)

The Ring of Kerry is beautiful and there are some places that aren't on the tour bus route that are very special. Rossbeigh Beach, Valentia island, St Finan's Bay, Ballinskelligs Bay and Derrynane House.

Also Skelligs Chocolate in St Finian's Bay - They do tastings... and they are totally and utterly DIVINE

http://skelligschocolate.com/

Ontario
Level Contributor
715 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paddle Wagon Tours question

We have booked a private tour for 4 of us through Paddy Wagon to go to Cork/Blarney Stone from Limerick. No one in our group has any desire to drive, no matter what side of the road. I am confident that we will be able to stop/go at our leisure.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,749 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paddle Wagon Tours question

Czechmate, the OP was enquiring about a group tour. A private tour is very different.

It would be lovely if you got back to us and let us know how your tour went. And a costing would be great as well. There is a perception that private tours are quite expensive. It would be interesting to know what PaddyWagon are charging.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Paddle Wagon Tours question

Driving is easier than you think

Ask the rental company for an automatic

Adare town is west of Limerick City

Using Google MAPS study your intended route to Kerry

from Adare depart around 9am avoiding the morning rush hour.

Where to purchase fuel on route see........PUMPS.IE

Road Traffic updates linked to Twitter see.....AAROADWATCH.IE /

Youtube " Tips for driving in Ireland "

and also " RSA ireland- roundabouts "

On the ring of kerry, stop for lunch in Waterville at the Butlers Arms hotel

In the hotel entrance they have photos of Charlie Chaplin and family

the family stayed in Waterville for summer vacations for almost ten years.

enjoy.

Edited: 09 April 2014, 10:00
Ontario
Level Contributor
715 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paddle Wagon Tours question

Yes Bean A, I understand, I was merely stating what we were doing with the same company. I was not sure how many people are in their group or if they enquired about a private tour. I will definitely give a review when I return.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,749 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paddle Wagon Tours question

Thanks Czechmate. That would be great.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paddle Wagon Tours question

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I think we will attempt to drive! Rick W- your tips will definitely come in handy.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paddle Wagon Tours question

I do have another question which might be better for another board but how long do you think traveling the Ring of Kerry or the Dingle Peninsula will take? We plan to stop leisurally and do some hiking and take in as much as we can.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,709 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paddle Wagon Tours question

You would definitely need a full day for each peninsula,

Get answers to your questions about Limerick