We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limerick has a spring in its step

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
880 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Limerick has a spring in its step

independent.ie/opinion/…comments

Some select snippets

"Architecturally, the centre of Limerick is a Georgian gem, the riverfront is beautiful and the surrounding countryside a tourist mecca. It has a huge university, an international airport and, in Thomond Park and Munster rugby, one of the most internationally recognisable Irish sporting brands.

On Saturday, I sat in Limerick's cosmopolitan Milk Market. There can hardly be a better 'covered market' in Ireland. While eating gorgeous toasties at the redoubtable Marie Hussey's Cheese Shop, Mickey Dunne, the master uilleann piper – a fully paid-up member of Ireland's trad aristocracy – started to play in the corner, there and then, as punters came in and out buying cheese, coffees, buns, and plonking themselves down to chat and listen. Outside, the market bustled with the intense chatter of commerce.

I say "trad aristocracy" because Mickey Dunne has pedigree. His father (the legendary Pecker Dunne) and uncles were highly regarded buskers at fairs, markets and GAA matches. They were travelling musicians who played widely and influenced many well-known names including Seamus Connolly, Tony McMahon and Professor Mick Maloney.

This is deep culture. It is Irish culture, the culture that is in our DNA, the type of culture you cannot fake, and here it was playing on Saturday morning.

The night before, I was hosting an economic and political debate as part of the Limerick Spring, itself part of the City of Culture. The discussion was held at the hopping Dolans Warehouse.

It is a brilliant venue – as good as any in the country – which every month plays host to dozens of musicians, comedians and the odd travelling economist, too."

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Limerick has a spring in its step

Great to see Limerick getting some well deserved praise. I have been visiting and doing business in Limerick for over 30 years, and have always found it a most welcoming and cultured city

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Limerick has a spring in its step

Thanks for the link, lightblue. How wonderful to read positive things about my native city.

With all the wonderful work that has been done on Bedford Row and Thomas Street, as well as the lovely work done all along by the river, the city never looked as well.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Limerick has a spring in its step

There is also a good article by Donal Ryan in this month's Cara magazine(Aer Lingus in-flight magazine).

I read it on a flight at the weekend, and he paints a lovely picture of Limerick, too.

Hopefully, this link will work (the article is on page 56)

issuu.com/caraaugust/docs/cara_aprmay14/4

Warren, New Jersey
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Limerick has a spring in its step

Loved the article -- very interested in meeting Limerick on our trip in May os 2016!

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Limerick has a spring in its step

I can't wait to get back there in a few more weeks. It has been 2.5 years since I've visited last.... a little longer than expected but am glad to be back there again. Thanks for sharing...

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Limerick has a spring in its step

Hi noseymama, great to hear you are coming back to our shores again.

If you need any help at all with the planning, be sure and come back to us.

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Limerick has a spring in its step

Thanks! Been too long. I'm spending two days in Dublin and have Howth and Bray visits sorted. Seeing a play at the Abbey then down to Limerick for a week. Will see Bally B. One day and hope to get out to Kilrush and Kilkee. Just looking to get away from NYS winter! Snowing again here... Grrrrrr!

8. Re: Limerick has a spring in its step

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2016, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Limerick