We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic congestion into/out of Limmerick City?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traffic congestion into/out of Limmerick City?

I'd like to spend three nights in Adare to explore the countryside and the city. Would traffic congestion frustrate the driving into town at 9AM and coming back out at 5PM? Or would my driver/friend really appreciate waiting until 10AM and picking me up earlier? I'm concerned because in a 2012 visit we were driving at 8 AM though Cork on the N40 to connect with M8 and it was very backed up.

And while I'm being a worry-wart about about such things, is the N24 from Limerick to Waterford generally free flowing?

Sorry to dwell on such a mundane, unattractive issue. I live in a land of traffic and get paranoid.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,761 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic congestion into/out of Limmerick City?

When are you going to be in Adare? That will determine my answer.

The traffic is bad on weekdays during term time. And its bad in the evenings when people are heading home from work. 9am and 5pm are probably the worst times. 10am and 6pm are better during weekdays and term time.

The N24 is generally fine but there can be occasional issues.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic congestion into/out of Limmerick City?

9 am and 5 pm is rush hour busy anywhere week days, Adare is a bit of a bottle neck so be prepared for heavy traffic. Slightly less if you are visiting on one of our School Holidays.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic congestion into/out of Limmerick City?

Thank you both for the prompt reply. I'd be arriving Sunday April 12 from Dublin airport, and staying in the area long enough to attend Bunratty Irish Night on Tuesday. (yeah, I'm a tourist, and too old to stay up for the real thing), Traffic around Adare would be seriously annoying - thanks for the head's up. Maybe I'll just stay in Limerick, although three nights might be one too many.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,761 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic congestion into/out of Limmerick City?

You're here the week the schools reopen after Easter.

If you have transport, there are alternatives to Adare.

If you don't have transport, you might consider some of the hotels and B&Bs north of the river. The Strand Hotel is on the river and there are some lovely walks nearby.

The Woodfield House on the Ennis Road is a small quirky hotel with a great bar. Its main attraction is that it is close to the North Circular Road which is a lovely urban area with access to the river. http://www.woodfieldhousehotel.com/

The traffic near The Strand and The Woodfield House flows well most of the time. Certainly nothing like the congestion of Adare.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic congestion into/out of Limmerick City?

To Bunratty from Adare you can take the Tolled Limerick Tunnel

cost is 1.80 each way for car

This route bypasses Limerick City as does going towards Waterford

There's no need to get stressed about a road trip allow extra time

For Road Traffic updates linked to Twitter see

AAROADWATCH.IE /

Have a good one.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,761 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic congestion into/out of Limmerick City?

Rick - have you ever been stuck in Adare traffic?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic congestion into/out of Limmerick City?

Bean A,

Funny you should mention Adare Traffic

I was listening to NEWSTALK.IE / " The Right Hook " on Tues 27 th

George Hook was talking to the media spokesperson for the N R A

Sean O' Neill He said that the Cork to Limerick upgrade will be next

large infrastructure project and wil include a bypass for Adare

and the N69 around Foynes.

Edited: 28 January 2015, 09:24
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,761 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic congestion into/out of Limmerick City?

Rick - don't hold your breath regarding the Cork to Limerick road :o)) I'm old enough to remember all the promises.

Remember Adare isn't on the Cork to Limerick road though. And Croom has already been bypassed. The Cork to Limerick road should be a motorway all the way. Its a disgrace for a national road in its current incarnation.

With regards to Adare, there was talk of a bypass a long time ago. I'm not going to mention any names because I know some of the people that were involved at that time. But there were issues that stopped it going ahead then.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
3,072 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic congestion into/out of Limmerick City?

SOMEBODY in South Co Limerick / North Co Cork must have SERIOUSLY @#!$$%! off some MAJOR politicians! The N20 has virtually gone unchanged since my first visit in 1999.

For the main highway between Ireland's 2nd and 3rd largest cities to be so Blatantly ignored over 16 years is seriously befuddling. Charleville, Buttevant and Mallow could ALL use a bypass. Traffic through those can be every bit as onerous as Adare!

Adare CAN be a bit of a 'bottleneck' but I've always found the congestion in Abbeyfeale and Newcastle West to be much more bothersome.

As stated, the Limerick tunnel avoid MUCH of the city traffic -- I've never found it terribly busy -- Could it be the 1 Euro 90 Toll???

The N24 to Waterford avoids MOST of Limerick, although the M20 'Ring' can see heavy traffic at times.

Have you considered Ennis or Bunratty for your Bunratty-centric touring?

Edited: 28 January 2015, 12:08
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,761 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic congestion into/out of Limmerick City?

Reprimo - the Celtic Tiger died, which is why the N20 is in a time warp!!

The tunnel is fine the odd time, but if you're using it every day or several times a day the cost mounts up. And there's a lot of traffic going in and out of the city as well. Even if I had free access to the tunnel, I wouldn't be using it very often because I don't need to hit the motorway straight, that often.

And just to reiterate the toll for the tunnel is €1.90 and you are better off having it in change as the last few times we used the tunnel, there wasn't a human at the booth.

Get answers to your questions about Limerick