We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ballina or Westport?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Ballina or Westport?

In October we are planning our next trip to Ireland, and wish to do the train trip to either Ballina or Westport from dublin, which would be preferable, on a Sunday?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,292 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ballina or Westport?

I would prefer Westport, one of my favourite towns in the West. Is it a day trip or are you staying overnight?

Edited: 15 February 2012, 14:43
Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ballina or Westport?

What is it your looking for from your visit? I live near Ballina and I think it has a lot to offer but I love westport town it has a nice relaxed feel to it and is home to westporthouse. westporthouse.ie/westport-house-and-gardens/… This would be well worth a visit.

Westport is very picturesque and has lots of nice little shops.

Ballina is a larger town but you can still easily walk around it. It is home to the famous river moy ridgepool and it attracts lots of fishermen. The best time to visit imo is in July when the famous salmon festival is on this is a huge tourist attraction and is very well ran.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,629 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ballina or Westport?

I'm assuming this is a Winter Schedule for Dublin to Westport/Ballina train service on Sundays.

Here's hoping there are more trains on a Sunday in Summer and in October:

www.irishrail.ie/media/11_DublinWestport1.pdf

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ballina or Westport?

I think that is the norm there would not be much demand for any more.

5. Re: Ballina or Westport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 17:15