We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westport or Clifden

Which Westport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmette,IL
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Westport or Clifden

Can't decide between these two for a charming seaside town, good seafood and good evening pub fun or craic as you kind and lovely people call it. Also proximity to awesome scenic drives.thanks

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westport or Clifden

Neither Clifden nor Westport, although very close to the sea, could be described as seaside towns.

Westport would be my choice, much nicer than Clifden. Good restaurants outside the town at the harbour and also in the town itself. Great drives, for example from Westport west to Louisburgh with Ireland's holy mountain Croagh Patrick to your left and then south past Doo Lough (a Must Stop) and along Killary Harbour. You can stop at the Aasleagh Falls, then drive back to Westport along the stunning stretch on the N59.

And there's so much more...

Virginia
Level Contributor
213 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westport or Clifden

I like both towns, with an edge towards Westport, especially Westport Quay.

Wilmette,IL
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Westport or Clifden

Thanks so very much. Could you recommend a seafood restaurant, maybe a friendly pub or two and even a hotel? I think The Clew Bay looks nice...we tend to like charming older hotels with character. I have copied your suggestions for drives..thanks again

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,409 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westport or Clifden

Looks like your mind is made up.. never mind. You might find some points of interest on this map http://goo.gl/maps/fotjs and despite giving up on all that Clifden and the central Connemara has to offer, Westport has you closer to Achill Island and the North Mayo Coast so a win win choice.

The Sheebeen on Clew bay is a great place to eat either pub grub or restaurant. There are a few places in Clifden and Roundstone should you change your mind.

For the drive between Galway and Leenane …activeboard.com/t50055177/n59-galway-route/ one day I might get a little further..

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westport or Clifden

Sorry, can't recommend seafood restaurant because I hate anything fishy. But surely the Westport website should give suggestions or post directly on the Westport forum. Someone is bound to direct you the right way.

I've stayed in many different places in Westport but the TA review site might a good guide for accommodation. Does it have to be a hotel? There's a particular B&B in the centre that was highly recommended on TA but for the life of me I can't remember the name.

There are many lovely pubs in Westport but Matt Molloy's is a must. It's on Bridge Street, right in the centre. Do a pub crawl...

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westport or Clifden

"giving up on all that Clifden and the central Connemara has to offer"

Tony, I love that part of Connemara and have stayed in Roundstone several times (and have recommended the place on TA umpteen times) but for a probable first-time visitor to Ireland and Connemara in particular Westport might just have more to offer.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,409 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westport or Clifden

Either way this looks like a British Isles (I hate that term) tour so we just offer our best advice anyway.

On the UK forum Phone Question, get a Tesco or 02 phone with the Ireland Bolt on..that gives calls and texts at non roaming rates. if you want Data then you need a sim for each Nation. For UK train planning http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ sorry for putting a few things together.

Virginia
Level Contributor
213 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westport or Clifden

Although The Asgard has mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, it is one of my favorites in the Quays.

Wilmette,IL
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Westport or Clifden

Thanks for all the great responses. My husband and I will be going out west with my son and his wife who have lived in Greystones for many years. We have visited Ireland at least 4 times, but have only got to Kerry, Waterford, Cork, Kilkenny, Kildare, Offaly, and of course beloved Dublin. We love Wicklow but feel we must see the west. We don't feel so confident to drive as we used to on those twisty, left side-drive roads, so we feel fortunate to have a driver. Formerly we would have toodled around all sorts of places as we have done many, many times all through Europe. We look forward to a magnificent finale in Ireland after eight days in London and 6 days in Edinburgh and the Highlands.

Westport, Ireland
Level Contributor
256 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westport or Clifden

Agree with Tony on The Sheebeen..www.croninssheebeen.com...also a little further out in Murrisk is The Tavern www.tavernmurrisk.com. The Helm in the Quay www.thehelm.ie/Westport-Bar-And-Restaurant.

Lots of lovely pubs here! My personal favourite is Matt Molloy's, but you should definitely do a little pub crawl while over.

Enjoy you visit!

Get answers to your questions about Westport