We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Swindon for a meeting in December (where time before)?

USA
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Topic
In Swindon for a meeting in December (where time before)?

I'm coming to Swindon for a meeting (Tuesday to Thursday) in mid-December for 3 days. In order to cut $2000 off the fare, I am planning to leave on a Saturday, arrive on Sunday and spend the remainder of Sunday and all day Monday being a tourist. I have been to London about 15 times and would like to see someplace else. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a nice tourist location near Swindon, and relatively easy to get to from LHR? Since it is England, I am, of course, seeking history, ale and ghosts... I though about Bath, but seems a bit hard to get to from LHR.

Mentioned in this post
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Swindon for a meeting in December (where time before)?

Bath is a good choice and it seems simple to get there. Catch a National Express coach at Heathrow, get off in Bath 2 to 2½ hours later, pay as low as £21.

2. Re: In Swindon for a meeting in December (where time before)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 November 2015, 15:38
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Swindon for a meeting in December (where time before)?

As Diz says above I'd definately recommend the short 27 minute bus ride down to Avebury. It's very compact with a nice little pub (the Red Lion), and of course the Avebury Stone Circle; plus the NT visitor centre and the Red Lion pub. Avebury is an ideal place to spend a couple of hours (the buses are hourly from Swindon - Avebury - Swindon too).

Looking at the bus timetable you could easily go from Swindon to Avebury and back on the Sunday afternoon, and on the Monday spend the day in Bath.

Mentioned in this post
Avebury Stone Circle
Avebury Stone Circle
1,966 Reviews
Avebury, UK
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
4. Re: In Swindon for a meeting in December (where time before)?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 November 2015, 15:37
USA
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: In Swindon for a meeting in December (where time before)?

Thanks folks. Avebury seems like a great choice--and I always love a haunted pub.

Might just spend my first night in London and then take a train to Swindon on Monday morning, drop my stuff off at the hotel and then bus down to Avebury to see the stone circle and then the Red Lion Pub....

You'll always get me with a haunted pub.... Nothing says "England" like a mix of spirits and...uh....spirits!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,073 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Swindon for a meeting in December (where time before)?

I agree that Avebury would be an excellent choice for an outing from Swindon - the stones, Silbury Hill and the West Kennet barrow are all accessible (free of charge) throughout the year. But you really need a dry day - an icy one, with the grass edged with hoar frost, makes for an exhilarating walk. These websites may help you plan your outing:-

www.wiltshiretouristguide.com

www.wiltshireheritage.org.uk

www.visitwiltshire.co.uk

www.hengeshop.com

www.travelinesw.com

www.stonehenge-avebury-bus.org.uk

If the weather is inclement, you may prefer to take a bus on to Devizes, which has an interesting small museum and a wider selection of pubs.

Mentioned in this post
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
Devizes
Devizes
Wiltshire, UK
Chippenham, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Swindon for a meeting in December (where time before)?

I have been on very entertaining 'ghost walks' in both Avebury and Bath a couple of years ago. These were in the early evening and full of local ghost stories and other historical information as well as a few laughs. I can't remember who the operators were but someone else might be able to fill in the gaps.

If you go to Devizes the Wadworth's brewery trip is entertaining and interesting - followed by a visit to the shire horses and tasting their various beers. And the Caen hill locks on the canal are very impressive.

Bath by train from Swindon is easy; the Roman Baths are a must for visitors from across the pond.

Mentioned in this post
Devizes
Devizes
Wiltshire, UK
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
The Roman Baths
The Roman Baths
19,081 Reviews
Bath, UK
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Swindon for a meeting in December (where time before)?

Hi there

The 49 bus runs on from Avebury to Devizes where there's plenty to see and do. if you like quality real ale, try the Crown in New Park St which is the brewery tap for Wadworths or the British Lion in Estcourt St, a free house with at least four real ales on at any time and a great, eclectic bunch of locals. The White Bear pub in Monday Market St is the most haunted pub in the town.

Lots of good places to get a bite to eat, some quirky shops, the museum, the Kennet & Avon canal, Wadworth's Visitor Centre and plenty more.

Mentioned in this post
Devizes
Devizes
Wiltshire, UK
The Crown
The Crown
544 Reviews
Worcester, UK
9. Re: In Swindon for a meeting in December (where time before)?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Swindon