We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Swindon - is it worth the trip?

kent
Level Contributor
30 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Swindon - is it worth the trip?

Hi,

we live just outside London and fancy Swindon for our yearly christmas shopping trip.

Love a TK Maxx

Love a Dunelm Mills

Love an Outlet

It has all these - however I am reading very mixed views.

Do you think it's worth our 2hr drive or not?

Thanx

Essex
Level Contributor
29,116 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Swindon - is it worth the trip?

Try Romford

Much closer to Kent, has TKMaxx and Dunelm Mills (not sure about an 'outlet' though tbh but yell.com lists somewhere on the high-street called 'Spend & Save' can't find a website for it though!

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,500 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Swindon - is it worth the trip?

Living in Kent I would think the outlet centre in Ashford would be a far closer option. That said it definately doesn't have a Dunelm Mills, or a TK Maxx as far as I know, but surely there are branches of those 2 stores closer to home ?

I think you may be being a bit optimistic by saying 2 hours as well, but I obviously dont know where abouts in Kent you are travelling from. What about Bluewater as another option, or the new Westfields in Stratford ? Just suggestions

Essex
Level Contributor
29,116 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Swindon - is it worth the trip?

There is also tons of outlet shopping in Freeport at Braintree or at Clacton (freeport is probably nearer though, once you have 'negociated' the Dartford Tunnel)

http://www.freeport-braintree.com/

http://www.clactonfactoryoutlet.com/

(and dare I suggest there is also Lakeside, where in the outlying retail parks you will find an Ikea, massive B & Q, Costco, The Range and many others:

http://www.lakeside.uk.com/ )

according to wikipedia, there is a TK Maxx on one of the retail parks:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakeside_Shopping_Centre

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Swindon - is it worth the trip?

Hi there

Not wishing to be negative, but we live 20 minutes drive from Swindon and we never go shopping there. Half the town centre is being dug up right now to make way for new developments and parking is amongst the highest I've ever paid anywhere.

Reading has a great shopping centre and it's only half the distance.

kent
Level Contributor
30 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Swindon - is it worth the trip?

Thank you all for your replies.

Cancelled my hotel in swindon :-)

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,515 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Swindon - is it worth the trip?

Haven't been to Swindon shopping for years but go to Reading regularly. Very good shopping centre as GB says.

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
305 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Swindon - is it worth the trip?

I live 5 minutes walk from Swindon town centre and even I would rather walk through the centre to get on a train to go to a DECENT shopping centre

Even the one half decent shop there was (house of fraser!!) turned into a cheap and nasty outlet version

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in Swindon - is it worth the trip?

Nige, Swindon has really gone down hill in the past few years hsn't it? I was last there a couple of weeks ago and the stretch of Fleet St at the lower end of the pedestrianed shopping street is awful, amongst the most run down area for a so-called shopping area I've ever seen

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
305 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in Swindon - is it worth the trip?

Yes it is - I know they're trying to tart it all up and you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs etc, but really for a town of this size it's a disgrace

and yet the owners of the parade (the bit near debenhams) had the cheek to get rid of the street traders selling flowers, donuts etc as "they lowered the tone"

at least they've kept a sense of humour

portsmouth
Level Contributor
140 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping in Swindon - is it worth the trip?

i love swindon!!!! we go there every couple of months there is a huge john lewis/house of frazer? outlet in the town center, bargain galore!!!! linen clothes bags shoes over 2-3 floors, i have bought ball gowns reduced from £300 to £30, leather jacket £370 to £70, the out let great western isnt that good, but i wouldnt go anywhere else, all brand names too.