We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from London to Maidstone

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,281 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from London to Maidstone

Is it easier to travel to Maidstone from Paddington train station or London City airport?

I'll be travelling during rush hour in the week unfortunately.

Grateful for any advice.

19 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,296 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from London to Maidstone

Let meguess- you're coming in from South Wales and trying to work out whether to get GWR into London Paddington or Flybe from Cardiff to London City Airport (if I'm correct yes please, I'd like to be entered into the Prize Draw).

If it were me I'd fly. You can catch the DLR from City Airport to Stratford International then the High speed train to Maidstone Barracks or Maidstone West (you may need to change at Strood).

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,771 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from London to Maidstone

Certainly beats fighting your way from Paddington to Kings X St Pancras, cheaper too.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,281 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from London to Maidstone

Thanks, that's very helpful.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,240 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from London to Maidstone

For times and costs of the Stratford to Maidstone Barracks route, please see www.southeasternrailway.co.uk

Maidstone Barracks is a tiny station, but has a direct footpath over the river to Maidstone East railway station. it's a very short walk. It's a longer walk through an industrial/retail estate to Maidstone West railway station.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,281 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from London to Maidstone

Thanks. Slight change of plan as going to Canterbury now.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,296 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from London to Maidstone

Ok no worries, I still reckon City Airport and across to Stratford international works well as there is an hourly direct train to Canterbury West and another with a change at Ashford International.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,281 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from London to Maidstone

I'm travelling by train now as the trip is work related. Train from Cardiff to Paddington, metro to St Pancras and another train to Canterbury.

I've been looking at the metro map, looks like I need the circular line from Paddington to St Pancras. Never been to St Pancras before, the journey is going to be an experience!

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from London to Maidstone

Yes a Circle Line or Hammersmith & City Line Tube to Kings Cross St Pancras is the way to go.

St Pancras is a wonderful modern station, I now always use it over Victoria as it's just a more pleasant experience! Quicker journeys too on the Southeastern Highspeed trains which are new, comfortable and clean, with charging points too.The only thing that bugs me is the long walk between Tube and train. Southeastern departures are tucked away in their own corner on platforms 11-13.

If you get any time for sightseeing, I much prefer Canterbury over Maidstone so am glad to hear of your change of plans (I am not Maidstone's biggest fan!).

Edited: 15 March 2017, 04:07
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,771 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling from London to Maidstone

"The only thing that bugs me is the long walk between Tube and train. "

Yes, do allow a good 15 minutes for that. The chance of actually getting lost inside St Pancras or simply gazing at the architecture can slow you down even more.

Also, if your seat on the train from Cardiff is towards the back of the train, when you get off at Paddington don't head towards the front. If you turn 180º, you will see a bridge across the tracks that leads to the Hammersmith & City line platforms. These are much closer and a lot less crowded that the main part of the station that everyone else heads for.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,240 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling from London to Maidstone

Canterbury is lovely, so I hope you get enough time to explore.

There are 2 railway stations in Canterbury, & the HS gets into Canterbury West. It's a very short walk into the centre of Canterbury, and is pedestrianised.

If you're staying outside the very centre of Canterbury & want a taxi, there are usually plenty of them at the station. They will provide receipts if you are claiming on expenses..

Reply to: Travelling from London to Maidstone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maidstone
Recent Conversations