We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time from Maidstone to Dover on a Tuesday morning

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Travel time from Maidstone to Dover on a Tuesday morning

Hi there,

We are travelling to France on tuesday, so I am thinking of staying over the monday night in Maidstone.

Would anybody know how long it would take driving from Maidstone to Dover on a weekday morning - should we expect travel delays?

Thanks in advance.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel time from Maidstone to Dover on a Tuesday morning

Hi Sibellasmom - do you know where you are staying yet? There are some hotels like the Hilton which are right at a motorway junction and you would not expect any delays. With others, you might have to negotiate rush hour traffic although usually that's not too bad.

Of course everything goes out of the window if Operation Stack is in force!

I would suggest you come back with ferry times and name of hotel and I can give you a clearer idea.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel time from Maidstone to Dover on a Tuesday morning

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. We are staying at the Village Hotel Maidstone, which seems to be quite close th the M20 (I think). Our ferry leaves at 9:25 from Dover.

Thanks.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel time from Maidstone to Dover on a Tuesday morning

The Village Hotel is only yards from Junction 6 of the M20 (don't worry, I believe it's well sound-proofed). You should have no problems getting on to the Motorway and then it's M20 and A20 all the way to Dover Docks. Shouldn't take you any more than 45 minutes but give yourself an hour just in case.

Have a nice trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel time from Maidstone to Dover on a Tuesday morning

Thanks very much for your help, I feel much better about it now.

What would we do without Tripadvisor!!

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel time from Maidstone to Dover on a Tuesday morning

Does seem on the face of it a slightly odd thing to do. You should be able to travel from Guildford to Dover in 2 hours absolute maximum, so why go to the expense of an overnight hotel stop?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel time from Maidstone to Dover on a Tuesday morning

That's exactly what my husband says!!

I want to extend our holiday and visit Leeds Castle on Monday, and also avoid having to rush too much on Tuesday morning - with my 2 kids we never seem to be on time. At least we won't have to get up that early.

Also we got a good deal at £75 bed and breakfast for all four of us. And as we are going Eurocamping in France with this weather we are having, I thought maybe it might be a good start to to what might be a pouring holiday in a mobile home.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel time from Maidstone to Dover on a Tuesday morning

Aardvark, it should take 1 hour maximum to travel from Maidstone to Gatwick but, the other Friday it took over 7 hours thanks to an overturned lorry on the M25 (a not uncommon occurrence on this notorious stretch of road). Sibellasmum, remind your husband of this if he continues to bridle!

By the way, if you’re going to Leeds Castle, look out for their tethered balloon ride. It’s very reasonably priced and there’s a review here:

…timesonline.co.uk/tol/…article2091031.ece

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel time from Maidstone to Dover on a Tuesday morning

Not sure what Gatwick's got to do with this. Is it a missprint?

Delays on motorways are always a possibility, but I don't believe one should judge them as inevitable, otherwise you'd never go anywhere!

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel time from Maidstone to Dover on a Tuesday morning

Sibellasmom - Don't know whether you could cancel your hotel booking without a charge but the Ramada hotel Maidstone is more or less next door to Leeds Castle, and also just off the M20 at junction 8.

10. Re: Travel time from Maidstone to Dover on a Tuesday morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Maidstone
Recent Conversations