We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A stay in Oakwood House in Oakwood Park, Maidstone?

Middletown, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
A stay in Oakwood House in Oakwood Park, Maidstone?

We are thinking about a 4-night stay at this property in the spring as a base for exploring the gardens and historic homes in the area. Can anyone advise on the quality of the accommodations and convenience for our sightseeing?

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A stay in Oakwood House in Oakwood Park, Maidstone?

I've never actually stayed at Oakwood House but have been there loads and loads of times as I used to work for Kent County Council who own the building and use it for their meetings and training events. This in itself would put me off staying there during weekdays, as the place is usually heaving with council staff rushing between meeting rooms. Another point to consider is that Oakwood House sits in a large campus which it shares with several schools and a big college, so the surroundings are not exactly peaceful.

Did you have any particular homes and gardens in mind to visit? You might find it nicer to stay in one of the outlying villages, particularly if you'll have a car.

Mentioned in this post
Oakwood House Hotel
Oakwood House Hotel
375 Reviews
Maidstone, UK
Kent
Kent
England, UK
Middletown, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A stay in Oakwood House in Oakwood Park, Maidstone?

Thanks for the details you provided - extremely helpful information! Yes, we will have a car, so travel is no problem. Do you have any B&B or hotel recommendations in the general area - we're not tied to Maidstone by any means. We'll be touring the southeast after visiting the Chelsea Flower Show. Thanks for all suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Maidstone
Maidstone
Kent, UK
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
54,417 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A stay in Oakwood House in Oakwood Park, Maidstone?

I lived in the 'Garden of England' for 40 years - you will be spoiled for choice.

Take a look at this website for a few ideas:

www.visitkent.co.uk/explore/gardens.asp…

From a purely biased point of view, you must try to visit Knole House at Sevenoaks. As a boy I lived only a mile away and it was a constant source of wonder. It is one of the largest such houses in the UK, rumoured to have one room for every day and one staircase for every week of the year, or so we believed! It is situated in a huge privately owned deer park.

Info at nationaltrust.org.uk/main/…

Sevenoaks is only about 20 miles from Maidstone.

Enjoy to your visit to my part of the world.

Mentioned in this post
Knole
Knole
907 Reviews
Sevenoaks, UK
Sevenoaks
Sevenoaks
Sevenoaks District, UK
Maidstone
Maidstone
Kent, UK
Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A stay in Oakwood House in Oakwood Park, Maidstone?

I agree that Knole House is well worth a visit, but my personal favourite is Ightham Mote which has recently been brilliantly restored by the National Trust. Other historic buildings in Kent that you might like to consider are Pensurst Place, Batemans, Hever Castle, Chartwell, Leeds Castle and Bodiam Castle (which you can travel to by vintage steam train from Tenterden - great fun). As far as gardens are concerned, Sissinghurst Castle and Scotney Castle both have beautiful gardens which are really lovely in the spring.

Goudhurst is a pretty village (complete with village green and duckpond, and right next to the National Pinetum) and would make a good central base. The Star and Eagle is in the centre of the village and has very fine views over the Weald of Kent (ask for a room at the back though). Alternatively, if you'd prefer to stay in a town, Cranbrook is nice and the George Hotel has had some good reviews on this site.

Whatever you decide to do I hope you have a lovely time.

Mentioned in this post
Knole
Knole
907 Reviews
Sevenoaks, UK
Ightham Mote
Ightham Mote
1,040 Reviews
Ightham, UK
Kent
Kent
England, UK
Hever Castle Bed and Breakfast
Hever Castle Bed and...
653 Reviews
Hever, UK
Chartwell
Chartwell
1,556 Reviews
Westerham, UK
Leeds Castle
Leeds Castle
3,964 Reviews
Maidstone, UK
Bodiam Castle
Bodiam Castle
1,623 Reviews
Bodiam, UK
London
Level Contributor
419 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A stay in Oakwood House in Oakwood Park, Maidstone?

Maidstone is an excellent base for exploring country houses and parks in Kent. I too have had work associations with Oakwood Park, so it puts one off a bit but it isn't too bad. It does have parkland around it and at weekends the schools and college would be quieter. It also has easy road links out of Maidstone to places towards Tonbridge, Sevenoaks etc where you'll find plenty of historic houses.

Check out National Trust properties - lots in the area: Knole, Ightam Mote, Sissinghurst etc. If you aim to visit a lot of NT places consider a membership. Ok, it lasts a year but the cost is covered after a few visits and you'll be helping to keep these places for future generations. You can find out about it when you visit the first porperty and weigh up the cost and whether it'd be worth it.

Others nearby are Leeds Castle, Hever Castle, Penshurst and many more. Spoiled for choice!

You might also want to go coastwards. On the Kent cost within short distances of each other you have Dover Castle, Walmer Castle and Deal Castle. In the same part of the region you could look at Sandwich (ancient town), Canterbury etc, or on the north Kent coast, Herne Bay, Whitstable, Broadstairs etc - all typical English seaside towns.

Rochester is a short drive from Maidstone, with the old High Street, castle and cathedrel. If Restoration House is open it's worth visiting there. (It's a private house so opening hours are more limited.)

Kent is beautiful in spring, with orchards in blossom. if you drive towards the Weald or the countryside around Rainham/Newington/Sittingbourne you'll see orchards aplenty.

There is much to do within an hour or two of driving from Maidstone (traffic jams hopefully aside - unfortunately roads can get busy). Maidstone itself is a biggish town, it's nice for shopping and has a little museum which is very good. There are good restaurants and pubs, but it's not such a nice place later in the evenings at weekends when the party crowd takes over. Best to eat out early in the evening.

Kent is my backyard - you are welcome to share it! I hope you enjoy it.

Mentioned in this post
Maidstone
Maidstone
Kent, UK
Kent
Kent
England, UK
Sevenoaks
Sevenoaks
Sevenoaks District, UK
Knole
Knole
907 Reviews
Sevenoaks, UK
Mote Park
Mote Park
839 Reviews
Maidstone, UK
Leeds Castle
Leeds Castle
3,964 Reviews
Maidstone, UK
Hever Castle Bed and Breakfast
Hever Castle Bed and...
653 Reviews
Hever, UK
Dover Castle
Dover Castle
4,986 Reviews
Dover, UK
Deal Castle
Deal Castle
680 Reviews
Deal, UK
Canterbury
Canterbury
Kent, UK
Herne Bay
Herne Bay
Kent, UK
Whitstable
Whitstable
Kent, UK
Broadstairs
Broadstairs
Isle of Thanet, UK
Rochester
Rochester
Kent, UK
Restoration House
Restoration House
72 Reviews
Rochester, UK
6. Re: A stay in Oakwood House in Oakwood Park, Maidstone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 09:17
Get answers to your questions about Maidstone
Recent Conversations