We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sissinghurst Castle Garden from Staplehurst

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
89 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Sissinghurst Castle Garden from Staplehurst

I was just checking transportdirect.com (great info on door to door travel) and it looks like a 30 minute walk from Staplehurst to Sissinghurst. Anyone know how available cabs are, and how much that trip might cost?

Essex
Level Contributor
29,053 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sissinghurst Castle Garden from Staplehurst

I'm not local enough to know about taxi's, sorry, BUT I have done a little bit of research for you.

You have not said where you are starting your journey from, BUT here is the National Trust Website's recommendations for travel to Sissinghurst, in case you have not had a look at that yet.

nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-fi…

Special buses are run on certain days, BUT otherwise you can get Arriva bus No 5.

visitbytrain.freeuk.com/kent/staplehurst.htm

http://www.traintaxi.co.uk/

Staplehurst station has a taxi rank - or a cab office - within 100 metres. Check availability before travelling, and pre-book if necessary. Consider using the following local operators:

MTC 01580 890003

Abacrystal 01580 893464

Weald 01580 893650

UK
Level Contributor
153 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sissinghurst Castle Garden from Staplehurst

I find the walk timings on travelinesoutheast.org.uk/se/…

are good.

This: nationalrail.co.uk/stations/spu/details.html… suggests that there are taxis available (I compared it with a station where I know they aren't, and that was clear that there is no taxi rank).

If the NT or the station or someone here can't say definitely, I'd ring up a local firm or two and ask how much it costs.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
7,149 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sissinghurst Castle Garden from Staplehurst

Just phoned my sister who lives in Staplehurst. She laughed, and said, "They must be going to the "world-famous" Sissinghurst gardens. The gardens aren't that special, and there are many others in the area just as good, but Sissinghurst must do a really good PR job!" Our distant relatives from New Zealand had heard of it, and wanted to visit when they were over.

Anyway, my sister goes by car, so not much help there. She uses MTC cabs, and says it costs £5 to travel 1 mile, if that gives you any idea... Plenty of cabs around at the station. Much as Essex said, really...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
89 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sissinghurst Castle Garden from Staplehurst

Thanks everyone for the good information. I hadn't thought to check the national trust website, but I will. And I'll check the bus schedules as well. Might end up being easier to take a cab. And as for the world famous Sissinghurst, Gilliqanuk, I'm a Vita Saxville West fan, and wouldn't want to miss seeing her garden, but tell your sister I plan to visit Great Dixter too, and would appreciate any other garden suggestions she might have for the area! Thanks again all.

Essex
Level Contributor
29,053 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sissinghurst Castle Garden from Staplehurst

For Vita Sackville West you also need to go to Knole House (but I suspect you know that):

nationaltrust.org.uk/main/…

Have you read Virginia Woolfe's Orlando??

Have you read VSW's The Edwardians??

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
158 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sissinghurst Castle Garden from Staplehurst

buses from Staplehurst station to Sissinghurst and Cranbrook Never run on time. be wary and flexible!

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sissinghurst Castle Garden from Staplehurst

There is a special shuttle bus from Staplehurst train station to Sissinghurst which will drop you off at right at the garden entrance, and then take back to the station afterwards. If you ring Sissinghurst before you go they'll be able to let you know the exact times and how much it costs. I don't think the gardens are over-rated at all. I live close by and go every couple of weeks and there's always so much to see, with different parts of the garden coming into life at different times. It's a truly beautiful place, with a lovely atmosphere and well worth a visit. I do hope you enjoy your time there.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
89 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sissinghurst Castle Garden from Staplehurst

That's great to know. Thanks. I've seen on line photographs of Sissinghurst and it looks amazing. I don't know how much will be in bloom in September, but I just don't want to miss it.

Oregoncynthia

Headcorn...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Sissinghurst Castle Garden from Staplehurst

Hi there, Nick here from MTC Taxis. We operate out of Staplehurst Station but it is always advisable to pre book. Just give us a call on 01622 890003. Our special fare to Sissinghust Gardens is £13.50. Check our website www.bookmtc.com We are the red cars with white <MTC> writing on, you cant miss us!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
89 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sissinghurst Castle Garden from Staplehurst

Thanks Nick. Appreciate the information.

Get answers to your questions about Maidstone
Recent Conversations