We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has Maidstone got nonsensical parking?

Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1,042 reviews
Save Topic
Has Maidstone got nonsensical parking?

Parked in a car park at 1618 parking on the street outside was free from 1830. When I returned to my car at 1930 I had a parking ticket on it the attendant was there, we didn't speak!

In the road outside cars were parked in all sorts of random ways partially obstructing the highway whereas I had committed the heinous crime of parking in a car park with incomprehensible signage!

We will see what the appeal results in! The whole system is nonsensical!

15 replies to this topic
Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has Maidstone got nonsensical parking?

So did you pay from 1618 until 1830?

If so seems an error!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6,576 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has Maidstone got nonsensical parking?

From Maidstone council web site

maidstone.gov.uk/residents/…car-parks

"Between 6.30pm and 8am there is an evening/overnight charge of £1.50.

In order to park overnight please make sure your pay and display ticket is paid up to 6.30pm plus the additional overnight charge of £1.50, which will register the ticket until 8am."

This doesn't apply to all car parks, so you need to say which one you were in.

Mentioned in this post
Maidstone
Maidstone
Kent, UK
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,994 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has Maidstone got nonsensical parking?

If you have been wrongly fined, you have a right of appeal. Send a copy of your original car park ticket, as this will show both the time you parked and the fee you paid.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has Maidstone got nonsensical parking?

Any nearby on-street parking rules are irrelevant if you parked in a car park. Maidstone is no different from anywhere else in that regard.

Edited: 01 March 2015, 05:58
Mentioned in this post
Maidstone
Maidstone
Kent, UK
5. Re: Has Maidstone got nonsensical parking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 16:07

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has Maidstone got nonsensical parking?

We have always found Maidstone car parks to be affordable, safe, and easy to use, unlike other nearby towns such as Chatham. I am sorry you could not understand the rules, which are generally available on site and online.

Mentioned in this post
Maidstone
Maidstone
Kent, UK
Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1,042 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has Maidstone got nonsensical parking?

Isn't it a shame how some people are so rude and I'll mannered in their responses the user who responds by commenting on ability to read clearly is deflected from the main thrust of my observation.

As regards the parking, it is all administered by Maidstone ergo there is a requirement for the rules to be fair balanced and equitable and two have totally different rules 5 ft apart is duplicitous and unjust

Mentioned in this post
Maidstone
Maidstone
Kent, UK
Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has Maidstone got nonsensical parking?

Surely that's the case everywhere - that parking costs are different in car parks than on the road outside. IT's certainly the case where I live. And in many of the towns here.. you always have to check you're lookign at the right sign. Unless I've missed your point - do you mean that there's a sign which actually refers to the road, but which is easily mistaken as applying to the car park?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has Maidstone got nonsensical parking?

and to have totally different rules 5 ft apart is duplicitous and unjust

----

If course it's not. By that reasoning, since you could move in 5ft increments from anywhere in the uK to anywhere else, there would only be one parking rule for the entire country !

Last week I parked in Windsor in a car park with a fee until 9pm. I could have parked in an adjacent car park which charges until midnight, or on the street with different charges again, depending exactly which street.

The one thing that didn't occur to me was to park in either car park without paying on the grounds that some streets in Windsor don't have any parking fees ! I doubt it would occur to most other people either.

In any case you appear to have failed on two counts,you didn't pay for the twelve minutes before 630 nor did you pay for the £1.50 afterwards. Zero legs to stand on.

Mentioned in this post
Windsor
Windsor
Windsor and Maidenhead, UK
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6,576 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has Maidstone got nonsensical parking?

There are many roads in London with different parking rules on either side of the road.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Reply to: Has Maidstone got nonsensical parking?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maidstone
Recent Conversations