We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IS there accommodation right in the middle of Maidstone?

Sunny Gold Coast
Level Contributor
596 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
IS there accommodation right in the middle of Maidstone?

I've been looking on various of my regular accommodation booking sites and the only accommodation seems to be quite far away from the main town, high streets, shops, restaurants, etc.

Am I missing something? I think the area I'm trying to get near is just above the East Maidstone train station. Is this not where people tend to stay when visiting Maidstone? We will not have a car.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Maidstone
Maidstone
Kent, UK
12 replies to this topic
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,419 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IS there accommodation right in the middle of Maidstone?

steve... there is a Premier Inn and a Travel Lodge, both in the centre of town and in walking distance ( 10 mins max) of Maidstone East railway station.

Mentioned in this post
Maidstone
Maidstone
Kent, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IS there accommodation right in the middle of Maidstone?

Am I missing something?

-------

At a guess, the booking sites you are looking at only show companies who pay them commission, and therefore you are missing out places that don't, such as the chain hotels mentioned, and possibly small pubs and b&bs as well.

Sunny Gold Coast
Level Contributor
596 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IS there accommodation right in the middle of Maidstone?

Ahh, thank you!

I was looking at booking.com, which I'd had better luck with than Orbitz with UK accommodation, as well as Expedia.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
7,242 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IS there accommodation right in the middle of Maidstone?

Does this map help, assuming it loads correctly

tripadvisor.co.uk/…MAPVIEW

Edit. No, I see it doesn't. Not on my tablet anyway. Instead click on the little map at the top of the screen and zoom in.

Edited: 02 July 2015, 04:41
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IS there accommodation right in the middle of Maidstone?

Just leaving the accommodation aside for a moment - what are you expecting to find in Maidstone?

Mentioned in this post
Maidstone
Maidstone
Kent, UK
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,419 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: IS there accommodation right in the middle of Maidstone?

stevie...book directly. Both travel lodge and premier inns have their own websites, you can check availability, get a local map and fiddle around with dates for the best price.

myrtle.... Maidstone has lots to offer visitirs... excellent clubs, pubs, a small but vibrant theatre, restaurants, shopping, a river ferry, river walks, parkland, an ancient archbishops palace, and one of rhe best small museums in the UK, particularly for Japanese armor, netsuke, prints and a vast collection English fashion/costumes/victorian wedding dresses... some of which are to be loaned to the Victoria & Albert Museum . I hope I've tempted you to visit!

Edited: 02 July 2015, 16:36
Mentioned in this post
Maidstone
Maidstone
Kent, UK
The Victoria
The Victoria
795 Reviews
London, UK
Sunny Gold Coast
Level Contributor
596 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: IS there accommodation right in the middle of Maidstone?

We're staying there for 1-2 nights as my partner's aunt and uncle live there and we "must" visit them (we've been told, lol). But we are SO not staying WITH them in their little and crowded house. So...

While we're there, we'll just have a wander around the town, do some shopping, have lunches and dinners, and we want to go to Sissinghurst, but we'll most likely get there by car with the aunt and uncle.

Europe
Level Contributor
16,746 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: IS there accommodation right in the middle of Maidstone?

You might consider a Premier Inn just a little way ( 5 miles) from Maidstone, in Wateringbury, my home village.

It's on the A26 road into Maidstone, with a bus route into town, but is in a pretty village setting, nice and quiet, and the village itself may be of interest too. Lovely views down the Medway Valley, an historic church, a nice tea room/ wine bar/ antiques place, and some other places of interest nearby.

The adjacent Chef & Brewer Pub does the breakfasts for the PI, as well as food all day, it's pretty good. We live just around the corner and we have supper/ dinner at the pub quite often, and the beer garden at the back is a nice place for a quiet drink.

Hope this helps,

Mon

Mentioned in this post
Maidstone
Maidstone
Kent, UK
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,419 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: IS there accommodation right in the middle of Maidstone?

Agree with mondial, the PI at Wateringbury is a little outside of Maidstone, a bit quieter, and some lovely views.

If you still want to be in walking distance of the town centre, another option would be The Grangemoor Hotel, about a 20 minute walk from the town. It is set on a side road, has easier parking, is family run, has a garden and is again a bit quieter than the PI or TL in the town centre.

Mentioned in this post
Maidstone
Maidstone
Kent, UK
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: IS there accommodation right in the middle of Maidstone?

There are the usual Premier Inn, Travel Lodge, etc but no other Hotels, the closest other style hotel is The Village at the bottom of Bluebell Hill, Hilton near Grove Green, Tudor Park (Marriott) in Bearsted and Great Danes (Mercure) in Hollingbourne

Mentioned in this post
Bearsted
Bearsted
Maidstone, UK
Reply to: IS there accommodation right in the middle of Maidstone?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maidstone