We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sentimental journey- or silly scheme?

auckland
Level Contributor
439 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Sentimental journey- or silly scheme?

Hello. We are arriving in London 10 September and have a few days before crossing to Ireland. We have been to London before and looking to get out and about a little more this time.

My great grandparents emigrated from Kent to New Zealand in the 1870s and I am interested in perhaps visiting the area as a day-trip/overnight from London. My great grandmother's family name was Quicke and last known address in Maidstone was 27 George Street. My great grandfather was a Medley, also from Maidstone area.

My questions are:

Does anyone have any link to a possible site for church records/ historical society?

Is there any purpose in visiting George St- from google maps it looks a semi-industrial area but hard to tell. Further family members were the Pound family from Hever- family lore has it that they once

owned Hever Castle- seems a little far-fetched but a nice story!

Really, this would be a bit of a sentimental journey as my darling grandmother always felt her family were from Maidstone, but I honestly have no idea where to start if I want to see areas which may

have significance in the 1860s. IS it just a silly flight-of-fancy to think about visiting when time is so limited?A bit of a garbled and confused request- apologies.All advice gratefully received.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,952 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sentimental journey- or silly scheme?

Maidstone has a fairly new facility on the edge of town called the Kent History and Library Centre which should allow you to access local archives in person:

kent.gov.uk/leisure-and-community/history-an…

Seems there is also an online catalogue at www.kentarchives.org.uk

I don't know George St so looked at it using Streetview on Google Earth and there are no original houses left - one side is a car park and the other a new development of modern terraced housing - however the adjoining Orchard St will give you an idea of how it once looked, rows of very small terraced houses. I don't know but it may well be these were lost during 'slum clearances', which was common practice from say 1930s-1960s for houses which at the time would not have had bathrooms, or the street could have received damage during WW2.

Maidstone is not a particulary pleasant town these days, sadly, though there a few nice old buildings dotted about here and there.

Edited: 17 April 2016, 03:43
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sentimental journey- or silly scheme?

You need to find out a little more about your great grandparents and their lives in Kent before making your trip to Maidstone. A good place to start would be to try and find them on the census using sites such as Ancestry and Find My Past. You could also, hopefully find their baptisms which would give you churches to visit. A quick look at the 1861 census showed only one family of Quickes in Maidstone but in 1871 there is a large family with 3 daughters perhaps one of those is your great grandmother?did the couple marry before going to New Zealand?

You could also join the Roots Chat Forum and ask your question there using your great grandparents full names. Lots of people will only be too happy to help your search. Check out your local Family History Society in New Zealand for help.

I love visiting the places where my ancestors lived and worked so yes go for it but do the research before you go so that you have time to enjoy seeing the places.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sentimental journey- or silly scheme?

Someone on the Ancestry website has a tree for your family, I would see if there is anywhere locally you could see the tree. There are pictures as well.

auckland
Level Contributor
439 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sentimental journey- or silly scheme?

Thanks so much to you all for your very practical suggestions. According to a cousin who has done some research there were four girls and two sons born in Maidstone so that could be the family. I will follow up on your advice. Much appreciated.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,501 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sentimental journey- or silly scheme?

Here's a snippet from a local history website

"Two bronze coins, of (Roman Emperors) Constans I and Valentinianus II, were found in 1953 in the garden of 12 George Street. Now in Maidstone Museum (Museum Record Card)."

Someone obviously lived there a couple of thousand years ago and dropped some cash!

Here's a very detailed and zoomable map of the area from a planning application dated 1985. This shows the car park already in place on the north side of George Street.

…midkent.gov.uk/online-applications/…

The new houses on the south side are very recent, the area was once a commercial premises.

The Kent Messenger Directory of Maidstone, of 1904 shows 27, George Street, to be occupied by one Alfred James Comfort. Available on line via the University of Leicester Special Collections Library and to the best of my recall the local libraries kept copies.

In 1874 the Britannia pub on the corner at number 3 was owned by Joseph Martin. Your ancestors probably went there, pub later called the Brown Jug and gone now.

Edited: 17 April 2016, 07:09
6. Re: Sentimental journey- or silly scheme?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2017, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Maidstone
Recent Conversations