We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parks/villages

Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Parks/villages

Hi I'm staying in maidenhead for a couple of nights in Sept for my partners birthday and going to the wild cat sanctuary in smarden..just wondering where would be nice to go for an afternoon tea and s location/park/village to have a nice stroll round..coming Fri/Sat thanks in advance

5 replies to this topic
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parks/villages

Hi - I'm taking it that you mean Maidstone and not Maidenhead as you have typed.

Parks - Mote Park is a huge park with a lake in Maidstone. Whatman Park (Millennium Park) is in a nice riverside location. I haven't been to either for several years but there are reviews here on the Maidstone Things To Do pages.

I would highly recommend a look at Allington Lock for a short stroll, accessed from the Malta Inn Beafeater. Very pretty riverside setting. There's a little alfresco cafe in the old toll house. You might also enjoy the Kentish Lady river trip between here and Maidstone, or a walk on the tow path.

Villages - I really like a quick look at Lenham, with it's really lovely, busy village square with free parking if you can find a space.

Afternoon tea - can't help with that, sorry.

Edited: 15 August 2016, 16:47
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parks/villages

Yes maidstone lol..predictive text! Many thanks, that's very helpful 😊 x

Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parks/villages

Bearsted Green, a couple of nice pubs and cricket still played on the green at the weekends.

http://www.thewhitehorsebearsted.co.uk/

http://www.oakonthegreen.com/

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,244 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parks/villages

If you are in Maidstone, you can get a river ferry up Allington Lock to the Kent Rural Life Museum. It's right next door to the Malta Inn but has a nicer tea room. It's an out door museum, set in acres of land, in which various old Kent buildings have been painstakingly dismantled and rebuilt.

Bearsted Green ( on the A20 coming out of Maidstone) is also a good option, and if you have the energy, you can walk up to Thurnham to scamble over the remains of the old Thurnham Castle ( a ruin ) for wonderful views over the Pilgrims way. There's a small pub called the Black Horse, with a car park and good food served all day.

Leeds Castle is also on the A20, but a bit pricy for tea. Chilham is just a bit further on, & has a very pretty open square with good tea shops and pubs.

Headcorn & Sutton Valence are in the opposite direction, but are right next to each other. Sutton Valence is in an elevated position, has a very unusual spilt high street( think cobble stones and only big enough for a horse & carriage) one tea shop but a few pubs,. The main selling point is the views over the Weald. Headcorn lies in the bottom of the valley and has some excellent places for lunch, tea or dinner, & is another pretty but historic old market town.

If you like historic market towns and tea rooms, I'd also recommend Faversham...has plenty of parking too.

Pluckley is close to Smarden, is tiny, historic & well worth a stroll through. It is said to be the most haunted village in England...so leave before dusk!

Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parks/villages

Many thanks for your help 😊

Reply to: Parks/villages
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maidstone
Recent Conversations