We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viking River Cruises

nyc
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Viking River Cruises

I am interested in experience anyone has had with Viking River Cruises. How is the food? Accommodations? Cleanliness of cabins and common space?

All responses are gratefully appreciated.

ellen

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viking River Cruises

Been on 3 river cruises with 3 different companies - Upper Danube, Duoro, Lower Danube. Viking were the best organised and had superior food with waiter service for both main meals. We are already looking at a Viking cruise on the Dneiper in Ukraine for next year.

My view is that a river cruise gives you the opportunity to see a lot of river scenery not accessible from land in a very relaxed, civilised, but organised way.I would reccommend this type of holiday, on any of the rivers, with any of the companies I have travelled with.

However, the two French cruise routes (Rhone / Seine) can be mostly driven in a fraction of the time, seeing the same attractions, and almost all the river scenery. I have done this by car, admittedly the boat gives an alternative perspective, but it is a lot of money just to see the same places as a land trip from a different angle. But if you want a river cruise experience .....go ahead, they are great, and Viking are very good..

Ponte Vedra Beach...
Level Contributor
743 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viking River Cruises

We are taking the grand european river cruise on Viking this July, I'm interested in any comments you have had with your travels. We start in Amsterdam and end in Budapest. We probably visit some of the same cities.

janines

albuquerque
Level Contributor
967 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viking River Cruises

I just took the Portraits of Southern France cruise with Viking (April 25th through May 1st) and loved it. I posted a review a few days ago w/ details. Food was great, cabins efficient and very clean as were the common areas. Staff very helpful.

Santa Ana...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viking River Cruises

Cattivojo:

My husband and I are taking the Southern France Serenade in September. Did most of the men wear jackets @ dinner on your cruise? My DH is quite self-conscious about appropriate dress. Thank you.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
967 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Viking River Cruises

It was actually quite casual. Some men wore jackets, but most did not. Slacks and either knit shirts or button down shirts were most common. There are a couple of more special dinners (captains night, farewell dinner) but even those were not dressy though some men wore jackets for those nights and a few of the ladies dressed up a bit more than other nights (ie no jeans). On other nights lots of women wore jeans and capris or casual dresses (like sundresses) or Chico's type travel clothes. It was pretty chilly in April, so I wore black slacks and either sweater sets or jackets most days and didn't change for dinner.

Hope that helps. Have fun!

upstate New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Viking River Cruises

Hi, We are cruising the Danube with Viking next week (Yikes !!!!!!!) Can anyone comment on whether men wear shorts? I'm telling sweetie-pie probably not in cities, but since I haven't been how do I know? (Just that I'm a city girl and he's a country boy)

Thanks for any help

Joliet
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Viking River Cruises

What were the other cruise lines you also approve of?

upstate New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Viking River Cruises

hi ellen, just returned from danube june 2010. Everything was excellent on the viking sky (boat name)

Expect impeccable cleanliness, food and service.

please write back if you have specific questions

upstate New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Viking River Cruises

hi ellen, just returned from danube june 2010. Everything was excellent on the viking sky (boat name)

Expect impeccable cleanliness, food and service.

please write back if you have specific questions

10. Re: Viking River Cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2011, 00:15