We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Font de Gaume cave

los gatos ca.
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Font de Gaume cave

Does anyone know the names of the closest hotel to the cave entrance?

We have been told that there are no reserve tickets for 2018. Everyone that wants to tour it must line up.

I figured staying close might be more convenient.

14 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
55,416 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Font de Gaume cave

A map shows a few nearby

https://goo.gl/maps/hdAu3xuyUsT2

Brea, Ca.
Level Contributor
314 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Font de Gaume cave

We stayed in Sarlat a couple of years ago and it was easy enough to get up early and join the gathering group at the site. There is a small parking lot and the building entrance had a overhead cover which we all huddled under to escape a light rain while waiting for the ticket office to open. It was first come first served but everyone queued up appropriately. I think I got there about 7 am and it was an easy drive in the early morning mist from Sarlat.

Good luck--it was exciting!

Pleasant Hill...
Level Contributor
159 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Font de Gaume cave

We too are interested in seeing the cave. Did you get in with the first group or did you have to return later for entry?

los gatos ca.
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Font de Gaume cave

Thanks everyone for answering. One of the hotel owners said to be in the que by 5 am since there are no advance tickets being sold this year and we are going in July. My thinking was I could either walk up or drive and my husband could bring me breakfast while in

line.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,181 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Font de Gaume cave

they are pretty strict about butts in seats i.e. one person can't arrive and claim a bunch of seats; everyone has to be there. Once the line forms and people are in their assigned numbered seats, and a social group has been formed, then I would assume someone could go get coffee or breakfast, use the restroom etc --- but you both need to be there initially to claim your seat.

los gatos ca.
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Font de Gaume cave

Yes that is understood. I am sure that people that are in line for 41/2 hours one might need to step out of line to get coffee food restrooms , etc. though

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
534 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Font de Gaume cave

There are several small family-run hotels in Les Eyzies itself - so just have a look on TA and see what you like. It's a bit over a 1km walk to the FdeG booking office. If you are going to make the effort to do this, I would also recommend you try for tickets to visit Les Combarelles and/or Abri du Cap Blanc on the same day, and really get the most out of it. It will be busy in July, but you can also easily buy tickets for visits to Grottes de Rouffignac, if you arrive about 15 mins before they open their ticket desk.

Mentioned in this post
Les Combarelles
Les Combarelles
154 Reviews
Les Eyzies-de-Tayac-Sireuil, France
los gatos ca.
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Font de Gaume cave

Are the ticket offices for the other caves at the same location or do we go to each cave to obtain tickets?

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,526 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Font de Gaume cave

This lists which tickets are sold at Font de Gaume. sites-les-eyzies.fr/en/Prepare-for-your-visi…

Didn't they only sell tickets ahead for 2 tours a day? That's 24 extra tickets they're selling in the morning (I think). I wouldn't think you would need to be there at 5AM, but I could be wrong. If you have enough days, I'd try a later time and then go back if you aren't early enough.

I've been twice, and I didn't see people leaving for breakfast/etc. Most people either brought food with them or just didn't eat. There aren't any public toilets open then I don't think. You'd have to go back to your hotel (or go in the woods). Last year (2017) I arrived at 7AM and was the first in line. The time before that I arrived at 7 (Sept 2016) and was 8th. Last year I posted updates as to when the line filled up:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18708…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,181 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Font de Gaume cave

I don't recall seeing any restrooms either there, but we went before it got so crazy popular and had no trouble reserving tickets and so we didn't have the long wait. It seems unconsionable that people would be expected to line up at dawn for hours for tickets and they don't even provide a portajon. It would be the woods for me, although the woods are not that dense.

Reply to: Font de Gaume cave
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Les...