We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling by car from CDG airport to Auxerre

SYDNEY
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
travelling by car from CDG airport to Auxerre

Can anyone tell me if we need to go through the centre of Paris if we pick up a car at CDG airport to go to Auxerre. If not what is the easiest route to take. As we are not used to driving on the opposite side of the road picking up a car at the airport and then having to contend with the crazy traffic I have seen in Paris previously is a little scary. Any help greatly appreciated.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling by car from CDG airport to Auxerre

No, you don't need to go through Paris. I hope you're not getting off a plane & driving. This would be extremely dangerous given jet-lag & your unfamiliarity with driving in France. Otherwise the best route is A104 (follow Marne-la-Vallée, Lyon) then A6 to Auxerre. Look at Google maps & street view to see.

SYDNEY
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling by car from CDG airport to Auxerre

Thank you for your response, no we are not getting off a plane and driving we will be picking up the car at airport so we can return it there. We will be in Paris for a few days before driving. I will check out your route on google maps.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,622 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling by car from CDG airport to Auxerre

If it's just to pick up a car then you should do it from Orly airport instead of CDG if possible. Orly is close to the A6 motorway to Auxerre south of Paris. You'll save a lot of time and will stay on the same road the whole way.

And best to use the viamichelin website.

Edited: 17 June 2012, 04:38
Horsham, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling by car from CDG airport to Auxerre

We are doing as the Reply above advised, Crazy. Being from Melbourne, I know what you mean about driving in France so take the easy option, get out to Orly to hire your car as it aint far then to the outskirts of town and you are on a really good freeway c/f to the very busy CDG area. When you want to return your car , you can then catch a shuttle bus that connects to CDG from Orly every hour! Then either stay at a hotel at CDG or return the car on the day of departure or whatever. Google Routeplanner to show you how to get from Orly to your destinations south. Best of luck!

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling by car from CDG airport to Auxerre

i suggest that you take the bullet train from the Bercy train station in Paris (Gard Bercy) and then if you still want a car, rent it at the train station in Auxerre. I have driven from Paris and it will take you twice as long and be completely unpleasant! The train takes less than two hours and is a complete pleasure!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,571 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling by car from CDG airport to Auxerre

I don't think we have ever returned a rental car to the office we rented it from -- you ought to be able to pick up a car at Orly and return it to CDG without any big hassles. There is a fee for airport pick up -- but that would be true regardless of where you returned it.

SYDNEY
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling by car from CDG airport to Auxerre

Thank you to everyone for your replies and information, we have decided to take the train from Bercy and then hire a car in Auxerre but I appreciate the feedback.

8. Re: travelling by car from CDG airport to Auxerre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 08:15
Get answers to your questions about Auxerre