We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pontigny abbey

san francisco
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pontigny abbey

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get to Pontigny abbey by taking the train to Auxerre? Thanks

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pontigny abbey

To get info on train schedules and prices use the site www.voyages-sncf.com. These tickets don't need to be bought in advance since they are TER trains and don't sell out. There are enough direct trains each day and a few that require one transfer but most generally take a little over 1-1/2 hours.

You may find additional info about getting to Pontigny from Auxerre by looking at the tourist office website. I would even suggest that you call them. They may speak English.

ot-auxerre.fr/en/01-tourist-office/01-touris…

In case you didn't know, the abbey has its own website so make sure you visit it to find out about hours and conditions for visiting:

http://abbayedepontigny.eu/

You can take a bus from Auxerre to Pontigny but service is not that frequent and hours and availability differ on the various days of the week. Here is a link to the local bus network. You want to take Line 2 (Ligne 2) Saint-Florentin-Auxerre. Buses depart from the train station. The website is in French only:

cg89.fr/Territoire-et-Economie/Se-deplacer-d…

Looks like there's a bus every day except Sunday departing at 11:15 and taking 30 minutes to get to Pontigny. The problem will be that the last bus leaving from Pontigny to Auxerre departs at 2:01 every day but Sunday. There are no buses on Sundays between the two places. So if you want to enjoy your visit for more than 2 hours you will likely have to take a taxi back to Auxerre. If you google "taxi pontigny" or "taxi auxerre" I bet you'll get some phone numbers for local taxi service.

san francisco
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pontigny abbey

Thank you so much!

san francisco
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pontigny abbey

Thank you so much!

Auxerre, Bourgogne...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pontigny abbey

French mystic gave you a very good answer. I live in Auxerre near Pontigny and I advise you to visit also Vézelay basilica wich is wonderful ( http://www.basiliquedevezelay.org/#!__english-version-1 ) and Guédelon the castle witch is being created using 13th century building techniques ( http://www.guedelon.fr/en/ ).

Have a nice trip !

Stéphanie

(Hotel Parc des Maréchaux**** in Auxerre)

san francisco
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Pontigny abbey

Thank you! the Guedelon castle sounds very good also for what I am looking for. Sally

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pontigny abbey

Guédelon is indeed wonderful but you won't be able to get there by public transport from Auxerre. There are buses that go to nearby Saint-Fargeau but they are extremely infrequent and you'd still need a taxi to get to Guédelon from there. It would be a very expensive taxi ride from Auxerre. Perhaps if you call the tourist office in Auxerre they might have info about possible coach tours that go there from Auxerre but I'm not aware of any.

There is one train in the morning (on most days) at 10:18 to Vézelay but you make a transfer to a bus on the way. However, the last bus/train combo that leaves Vézelay is at 16:19 so you'd only have a few hours there. The train runs between Auxerre and Sermizelles and the bus runs between Sermizelles and Auxerre.

san francisco
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Pontigny abbey

Thank you again for the very useful information. Sally

8. Re: Pontigny abbey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Auxerre