We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight stop from Basel to Paris - Auxerre or around?

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
268 posts
910 reviews
Overnight stop from Basel to Paris - Auxerre or around?

Going to Paris and then the UK in summer. We want to enjoy a full day in Paris, so we wanna stay around Auxerre for the night (and move to Paris the next morning). We are coming in from Switzerland - crossing the border in Basel.

Is this town a good place to crash for a night? I'm looking for a town with easy access by car ... easy in - easy out, so we wont lose much time. Or is the a better town around for spending the night (withing 2-3 hours of Paris) on our route?

Thanks a lot!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Overnight stop from Basel to Paris - Auxerre or around?

Auxerre is OK but in my opinion either Dijon or Beaune are more interesting. They're both 3 hours from Paris.

Alternatively you could take the A5 and stay at Troyes, which is around 2 hours away.

It really depends on what you want to do in the limited time you have.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
268 posts
910 reviews
2. Re: Overnight stop from Basel to Paris - Auxerre or around?

Thanks for your answer. Beaune actually looks pretty charming. Might stopover there....

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Overnight stop from Basel to Paris - Auxerre or around?

You're welcome, hope you enjoy it. As you probably know, it isn't easy to find a restaurant in France on a Sunday so if that's your stopover day you might want to check what's open first.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Overnight stop from Basel to Paris - Auxerre or around?

Did you go to both Auxerre and Beaune? What did you think? Heading out in two weeks for my first unplanned international trip and would appreciate your input as to where to head once I arrive. Many thanks!

5. Re: Overnight stop from Basel to Paris - Auxerre or around?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2018, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Auxerre