We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

I have just seen this running on the London Forum.

Apologies to the original poster.

>>>I have decided to start this thread to allow people to post their thoughts on:

1. The very very cheapest places to eat

2. The very very cheapest tourist attractions

3. The very very cheapest places to stay

Now, when I say cheap, I'm thinking hostel cheap, I'm thinking sandwich cheap, I'm thinking catch the bus cheap, I'm thinking £5 theatre tickets - you see the way I'm going.

I think this would be a useful resource for the future - so anytime you do something spectacularly cheap and tremendously excellent, you should look up this thread and post it here.<<<

A quick search shows there isn't the same thread here.

I'ts such a good idea, please share your money saving ideas with everybody.

601 replies to this topic
the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,174 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Churches... all the churches are free in Paris (except Ste Chapelle)

Market food... people have mentioned that the markets are free to visit, in addition, many have vendors who serve prepared meals. Hot food, very affordable for when you've had your fill of crepes.

Velib'... at 1 euro a day, the cheapest transport option there is.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Just back from two weeks in Paris, we had lunch at the BHV department store cafe on the 5th floor a few times, reasonable prices compared with cafes, the tables are communal style, food fresh and healthy anyone else tried it?

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,147 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

The view of Paris from the top of Le Printemps department store. Simple fantastic! I think it beats all others.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,775 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

The 15cm 'sandwich of the day' and a 40cl soda is €4,- at Subway. There's the choice of 6 different breads and you can have loads of salad (you choose what) piled in the sandwich.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
85. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Bump!

Love this thread - so thanks guys for all the wonderful ideas!

I'm headed to Paris for 8 days this thursday, with the hubs and our two year old daughter and wondering if any has good ideas for affordable fun and family restaurants.

We're putting up in a holiday apartment in Marais (agree that apartments are great because there's the option to cook - saves $!) and are splurging on two things - a bike tour and Disneyland. But other than that, my itinerary includes some good affordable fun which I found from other websites:

1. Parks - great for the kids! Looking to visit Jardin d’Acclimatation where there's supposed to be tons of activities for the little ones and entrance is only 2.80 euro.

2. Markets - i believe great for grocery shopping, cooked food and flea buys.This market - Marche Auguste-Blanqui Metro: Place-D’Italie - came up on most travel sites, looking to visit!

3. Seine River walks and cruises - there's some online deals so buy them before you go! Oh and you can buy tickets for the Eiffel online now. Brilliant. Should have done this long ago (I remember queuing for a hour odd just to go up, some 10 years back!)

Will add on more when I'm back from my trip.

Cheers! Jo

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

>>>This market - Marche Auguste-Blanqui Metro: Place-D’Italie - came up on most travel sites, looking to visit!<<<

Every arrondissement has several traditional open-air or covered markets. Some are open six days a week, most only one or two. There is no need to travel half-way across the city to visit one, especially since some of the best are right on your doorstep. Not sure exactly where you are staying in the Marais but here is a paragraph I just posted on another thread about markets in or near the Marais.

The Thursday and Sunday Bastille market on boulevard Richard Lenoir (early morning to early afternoon) is one of the bigger Paris markets. The Place Baudoyer market on Wednesday afternoons and Saturday mornings is much smaller. Take a look at the Marché Aligre on rue d'Aligre in the 12th open every day except Monday, mornings and late afternoons except Sunday. It is very lively. The covered part of the market is also worth a look for the architecture of the building as well as the stalls inside. You could take a stroll along the nearby Promenade Plantée if the weather is cooperating and/or visit the Viaduc des Arts. The Enfants Rouges covered market on rue de Bretagne in the 3rd, also open six days a week, is worth seeing. I think it is the oldest covered market in Paris. Its hours are similar to the Marché d'Aligre.

There are three chains I can think of that might work for you, Hippopotamus, Flunch and Chez Papa. Of these the last is the least "chain-like" and probably has the best food. Google will help you find locations near you for all of these. Mussels may not be on your daughter's menu but just in case Léon de Bruxelles does (generally) good mussels done various ways and served with copious frites (French fries). I think they are "all you can eat" on Sundays.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Somehow I have missed this thread until today. Glancing through it I don't think there has been any mention of the many free museums (other than the Carnavalet) owned by the city of Paris. Many of them are excellent. Here's a selection:

Musée des Beaux Arts de la Ville de Paris, housed in the Petit Palais, av. Winston Chuchill, 8ème. The collection is splendid, the building has just been completely renovated and is worth seeing, and the interior garden overlooked by a café, is lovely.

Musée d'Art Moderne de la VdeP, housed in the Palais de Tokyo built for the 1937 Exposition Universelle, av. du Président Wilson, 16ème. The collection is excellent and the space well thought out.

Musée de la Vie Romantique, housed in the Hôtel Scheffer-Renan, rue Chaptal, 9ème. THe "New Athens" neighbourhood was very fashionable in the early 19th century and was home to many artists, writers and musicians. The museum's collection includes works of art and furniture from the period. Much of the collection is associated with George Sand who lived nearby.

Musée Cognacq-Jay, housed in a Marais mansion, the Hôtel Donon, rue Elzévir, 3ème. The splendid collection of 18th century painting and sculpture, furniture, ceramics ad objets d'art, was amassed by the husnband and wife who founded the Samaritaine department store.

Musée Cernuschi, housed in a 19th century mansion close to the lovely Parc Monceau, av. Velasquez, 8ème. The collection of Asiatic, especially Chinese, art is among the finest in Europe.

Le Mémorial du Maréchal Leclerc de Hauteclocque et de la Libération de Paris - Musée Jean Moulin (Don't blame me. I didn't name the place!). can be found in the Jardin Atlantique above Gare Montparnasse, 14ème. It is not easy to find. Through two emblematic figures the museum traces the history of French resistance in WW2 leading up to the liberation of Paris in August, 1944.

These are just a few. There are also, among others, the Maison de Victor Hugo in the Place des Vosges, the Maison de Balzac in the 16ème, the Musée Bourdelle in the 15th, and the Musée Zadkine in the 6th, all worth a visit. Google them if you are interested but be aware that most of these museums have a very limited web presence.

Note that while admission to the permanent collections at these museums is free there is usually a charge for special exhibitions.

PS: Before anybody gets all over my case, some of the chains I mentioned in my previous post are not among "the very very cheapest places to eat." Mea culpa...

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
374 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

if you live in the UK and shop at Tesco , you can buy a voucher for an hour long boat trip down the Seine for £3 of clubcard vouchers. It's with the company called Vedettes de Paris. Tickets usually cost around 12 euros so this works out cheaper. It just across from the Eiffel Tower and takes you up to the Notre Dame and back.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
374 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Theres also vouchers available for other places like Montparnasse and some other Paris attractions.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Suggest that you strongly consider the Luxembourg Gardens and Parc Monceau. Both have kids play areas that are full of kids having a blast climbing and swinging, and that will last a long time. I confess to not focusing on the ages they are appropriate to, but the kids I saw were young. Both parks always sound like a swimming pool to me. And Luxembourg has a separate play area down by the palace that's a "garden" for really little toddlers - much under your daughter's level, I'm sure. If you're up by Buttes Chaumont, there's a kiddie area near the top that's gated and safe. Lots of kids, but not as much to it. Just, if you're near it and don't feel like trekking across town...

Oh, and the Tuileries! How could one forget the carousel and kiddie play area... (So, the suggestion is, walk the Pont des Arts, then along by the pools where the kids push the little sailboats around, and then the kiddie area and nearby carousel. She'll be elated, and then pooped.

Reply to: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted