We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Air Traffic Controllers strike - news from locals?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
563 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Paris Air Traffic Controllers strike - news from locals?

I know it likely will start tomorrow and is planned to last four days at the Paris airports. I know the coverage will be better in Paris than here in the U.S.

Would local posters please provide updates when/if there are any? I'll certainly scour newspapers here.

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Air Traffic Controllers strike - news from locals?

ttt

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,630 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Air Traffic Controllers strike - news from locals?

The French air traffic controllers have had strikes for years and to my knowledge, trans-Atlantic flights have never been affected.

However, things could be different if you are connecting; for example through London or Amsterdam.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Air Traffic Controllers strike - news from locals?

As far as Paris is concerned the French media are reporting that one flight in four into or out of Roissy (CDG) and one Orly flight in two will be cancelled tomorrow (Tuesday). Nice-Matin is reporting "some disruption" Tuesday in Nice. A few minor airports will apparently be closed for the duration of the strike, notably Pau, Chambéry, Grenoble and Biarritz.

I agree with Sarastro that international long-haul flights will probably not be affected. However, if you are flying on any short-haul flight into or out of a French airport this week you should definitely check both the relevant airport web site and probably call your airline or at least check online.

Edited: 22 February 2010, 18:31
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
563 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Air Traffic Controllers strike - news from locals?

Thanks - what I read also said about one in four flights would be affected, but did not specify whether it would be domestic or international flights. It did say it would affect both CDG and Orly.

I'm fine with a strike or two as long as they happen once I'm already in Paris!

NEw JeRsEy
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Air Traffic Controllers strike - news from locals?

Hi, Here is the information posted on AIRFRANCE.COM

Air France keeps you constantly informed of any service interruptions due to meteorological conditions, technical issues, industrial action or political tensions.

monday 02/22/2010 01:05:45 TU

Industrial dispute of the Air Traffic Controllers in France

Some French air traffic controllers in France are set to strike from February 23 to 26. Consequently the French Civil Aviation Authority (Direction Générale de l´Aviation Civile - DGAC) will limit the number of flights handled for each airline during this period.

As a result, on Tuesday February 23, Air France will operate:

100% of its long-haul flights leaving from Paris-Charles de Gaulle and Paris-Orly

75 % of its domestic and European flights from Paris-Charles de Gaulle

50 % of its domestic and European flights from Paris-Orly

Customers are invited to check the status of their flight:

on www.airfrance.com, « Flight information » section,

> by phone to the Air France local call center.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,818 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Air Traffic Controllers strike - news from locals?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yikes! Well, I know France's reputation with strikes - but I do wish it wasn't so close to my trip (March 1st) - altho' since I'm flying from Washington Dulles directly to CDG - it doesn't sound at this point as if it would affect me.

I hope no one here on TA will be inconvenienced by it - selfish me - including myself!

Malama Pono (take care),

Janet

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris Air Traffic Controllers strike - news from locals?

I wouldn't be too worried about a long haul flight unless you're flying Lufthansa in the next three days - their pilots are walking out. This strike will be a total of 4 days, but they'll probably repeat the exercise.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
563 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris Air Traffic Controllers strike - news from locals?

Good rooting around angelicfairy - I would never have thought to go to the Air France site and that tells all for me. Sounds as if all is well for the tourist...

On a completely different note, but having to do with strikes in France, the most interesting one I experienced was in school when the cleaning ladies went on strike for a week. Darn it, I had to take out my own trash... ;-)

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris Air Traffic Controllers strike - news from locals?

>>>Sounds as if all is well for the tourist...<<<

At least for the tourist who is arriving or leaving by a direct long-haul Air France flight. Other tourists, maybe not so much...

The French press continues to report significant disruptions all over France but especially at the two major Paris airports. Some flights have been cancelled at other major airports, including Nice, Marseille, Lyon and Toulouse. Service has been completely suspended at a few minor airports. Check with your airline.

There is good news for Lufthansa passengers. That airline's pilots have suspended their strike to return to the bargaining table.

Janet, you really have nothing to worry about. The strike will last only through Friday.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,331 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris Air Traffic Controllers strike - news from locals?

Fingers crossed that ours is one of the 75% of the Air France European flights that makes it to CDG on Friday then .....