We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Service Compris ( tip included in all restaurants )

11 posts
Service Compris ( tip included in all restaurants )
Save

Could some one that lives in Paris tell me if the tip is included in all restaurants?

Some waiters say yes, other say no. One time I have seen in the check service compris 15% and ask about that to the waiter and told me that was for the owner. I pay another 10% to the waiter because I already know the tip is included in the account.

If the service is already included in all places I think the waiters and the owners are receiving sometimes over 25% to 30% or more.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
32,705 posts
33 reviews
34 helpful votes
1. Re: Service Compris ( tip included in all restaurants )
Save

Service and tip are not the same thing, which is why some waiters will play with words. No tip is required in France, but when you leave one, it is generally no more than 1 or 2%.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
20 helpful votes
2. Re: Service Compris ( tip included in all restaurants )
Save

The French law is quite explicit..."while tips are a custom in some businesses they aren't compulsory and cannot be requested" or something like that.

If you buy a drink for 2,80 euros, you may leave 3,00 Euros...for a meal that cost 20, 40 Euros..leave 21 euros...at most.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
32,705 posts
33 reviews
34 helpful votes
3. Re: Service Compris ( tip included in all restaurants )
Save

Of course 3CONILS does not mean a 21 euro tip.

Montreal
Level Contributor
37 posts
4. Re: Service Compris ( tip included in all restaurants )
Save

I suppose 3CONILS also does not mean to leave 21 euro for a 40 euro bill !

But both are correct -- just a small tip, if any at all, is appropriate in Paris. I have found taxi drivers, servers, etc. all very willing to dig in to the change purse and give you your precise change, i.e., if the taxi fare is 22.80, they will present you with 7.20 as change for 30 euro, without hesitation or laying a guilt trip on you.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
47 helpful votes
5. Re: Service Compris ( tip included in all restaurants )
Save

In France service is included but what you have to know is that we don't have the same philosophy in France. When you give a tip to a waiter it means that you like the way he takes care of you. We call tips in france pourboire and if you translate in english "pourboire" it's "for a drink". So when you give a tip a "pourboire" to a waiter when you like his work you pay a drink for him. It's a french custom.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
27,534 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: Service Compris ( tip included in all restaurants )
Save

<<Could some one that lives in Paris tell me>>

As I am not currently living in Paris I suppose that I am not qualified to answer this question which has been asked over and over and over again. Don´t be afraid to use or intimidated by the search function Fenicom. Here are some results from over the last few days.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k5747761-L_addition_s_il_vous_plait-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k5729717-How_to_deal_with_an_awkward_moment-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k5739746-Pressured_to_Tip-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,779 posts
7. Re: Service Compris ( tip included in all restaurants )
Save

This thread is over a year old. Someone just dug it up...

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
27,534 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: Service Compris ( tip included in all restaurants )
Save

You´re right Mrs FM.

Hmmm. A first time poster than has not mentioned shuttles . . . awesome.

9. Re: Service Compris ( tip included in all restaurants )

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the Tripadvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 September 2012, 21:35
10. Re: Service Compris ( tip included in all restaurants )

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 15:17
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.