We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rick Steeves

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Topic
Rick Steeves

Who is this guy and what's'the obsession with him??!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
1,708 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rick Steeves

Really, really, good marketing strategy. He's found a niche and is making the most of it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,086 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rick Steeves

trying to pick a fight are you? why?

he is Pacific Northwest guy who liked to travel and decided to help timid middle age middle class travelers learn to travel closer to the ground. his advice is quite good although his taste in hotels is dreadful and restaurants not that great either. but his idea about how to put together a whirlwind trip and how to create interesting experiences without a tour guide is excellent. and he gives lots of practical advice for newbies e.g. helps evaluate rail passes.

he also runs tours that embody his philosophy of travel except for the 'doing it on your own part'

the downside is he ruins delicate places that cannot withstand lots of tourism -- I hiked the Cinque Terre 30 years ago before he turned it into a tourist mecca -- there was not a single souvenir stand, no crappy tourist oriented food vendors, not many places to stay -- it was really quite a treasure.

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rick Steeves

He is a big time travel expert on Europe and has inspired many of usin the US to learn how to travel on our own and get off the beaten path. He got us traveling on our own and we have been the beneficiaries of many of his tips. Google him and learn more. Some resent him for causing many tourists to flock to certain areas, like Rue Cler, or "ruining" some areas because he recommended it. He can be a little smug at times on his TV show but all in all, a lot of Europeans owe him for popularizing their hotel, restaurant, B&B, etc.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,732 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rick Steeves

Janet--I wouldn't say his taste in hotels are awful. Some may be, but we stayed at the Muguet in Paris once and I had booked it before I saw that Rick Steve's recommends it. I was surprised and he used to suggest more 1 or 2 star type of places. Of course the Muguet gets great reviews here, and we loved it.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,992 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rick Steeves

Love Rick Steves' books.. I've used them for all my European travels. wish he would expand to Latin America and Asia!

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rick Steeves

"trying to pick a fight are you? why?"

Sorry Janet , are we not allowed to take the name 'Rick Sreeves' in vain or something??!

I imagine here are a lot of people like me who are wondering why his name seems to pop up on the forum......

Why does this bother you?

Oprah, nice anwser!

Edited: 26 July 2012, 16:32
Florida
Level Contributor
17,088 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rick Steeves

Please use the Forum Search for such a mundane question:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=14&geo=187147&scope=2&q=rick+steves&returnTo=__2F__

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rick Steeves

travel, lovely Mundane answer...as usual!

:-)

Everyone thanks, always nice to have an insight into what is imortant for people!

Florida
Level Contributor
17,088 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rick Steeves

:-))

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rick Steeves

Reminds me of Ken Rockwell on the Nikon forums of DPReview. They call him HWMNBN there (short for He Who Must Not Be Named)...

Guides are a great place to start, be they written by a slightly egocentric guy or a whole bunch of anonymous persons, but please, please, just make your own path from this and add a little adventure. It's just so depressing seeing tourists with their head burried in guides following line by line as if putting together an IKEA piece of furniture (and we all know how this mounting ends) :-D