We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with travel card for paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Need help with travel card for paris

Hello guys, I have been a long time reader of tripadvisor posts but asking a question for the first time. Im travelling to Paris for a 4 day trip with my wife as a long weekend visit. I shall be landing in paris on a thursday and back on a sunday afternoon. What would be the best pass to buy to see the local attractions and places and that can be used on the metro or the rer or buses. I mean something that would be on the budget and can be worth it. I would be arriving in gallieni and will be staying near there too - which is zone 2 so i guess a zone 1-2 pass should be enough for me to visit the main attractions and the city.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Maki

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,857 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with travel card for paris

If I were you, I would simply purchase groups of 10 tickets t+ for 13.50 euros. These can be shared and unused tickets never expire. The ticket t+ is valid anywhere on the metro.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with travel card for paris

The only pass that I'm aware of that covers both transportation and museums and other attractions is the horribly overpriced and impractical Paris Passport, which I would never contemplate buying or recommending. You might want to consider a Museum Pass, but really, only if you plan to hop around to a lot of museums during your short stay. I would just buy a carnet of métro/bus tickets, pay for individual museums, and spend a lot of time enjoying all the free delights Paris offers.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with travel card for paris

Would a Paris Visite pass be any good. Im just thinkking that probably I might finish off the 10 tickets in one day. Like going to 3-4 places in 1 day and back and forth might finish the carnets.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with travel card for paris

Yep Im not looking to going to the museums, just the free attractions and foods. SO it woulod be more of traveling involved

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,591 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with travel card for paris

I guess the answer depends upon where you are staying. If you're centrally located you can walk to many sights.

Edit: Just noticed that you're staying near Gallieni. Even with that distance you might each use 3-4 tickets per day - so you can do the math.

Edited: 11 March 2013, 17:01
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with travel card for paris

10 tickets in a single day? That's really hard to imagine. Paris a fairly compact, walkable city. Ihighly doubt you'd be hopping on métros/buses to visit attractions, even lots of them. For example, one of the walks I often make in Paris is from my hotel to Les Invalides/Army Museum, pop in there for a bit, then to the Rodin Museum, pop in there for a bit, then to the Musée d'Orsay, pop in there for a bit...quick lunch...walk along the river to Notre Dame, have a look-see, then a walk around Ile de la Cité, then head back along the right bank and over to the Pompidou Center, check it and the Place Beaubourg out, back to the river, cross over it near Les Invalides, back to the hotel (or more likely, to a café for an apéro). Not a single métro involved and I've had a full day of sightseeing.

And if you DO run out of tickets, you just go into the next métro station you want to use and buy more.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with travel card for paris

Right chaps, will take my chances with the 10 tickets carnet. So just to confirm say for example i want to travel from gallieni to eiffel tower, will i just use 1 ticket for each person. I read it soewhere that you can use 1 ticket from point a to b and you can use it from a metro to metro and a bus to bus but not vice versa.

Also is it a Carnet T+ tickets i need to get is it.

Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,055 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with travel card for paris

at Galieni you are at the end of line 3 of the metro -- you could get Mobilis daily passes; if you are 25 or under you could get Ticket Jeune passes on the weekend which is a great bargain; otherwise the carnet is probably most economical and easily shared between you. The mobilis will cost you 17Euro and change for two for one day -- thus it would be an unusual day when you would do better than a carnet for 13.50 which would give you 5 trips each. Even if you exceeded your 5 trips per head on one day, it is unlikely you would do so on several days. Plan your days so that you focus on an area of Paris and plan to walk once you get there -- that is the best way to see Paris and self guided walking tours are free. (you can find maps for those on line and in guidebooks)

there is no pass that covers attractions and travel -- the so called 'Paris Pass' in addition to being overpriced is not a pass, it is a collection of existing passes like the Paris Museum Pass and the Paris Visite.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with travel card for paris

You will use one ticket per person for each ride on the métro, even if you change stations underground several times. The minute you exit the métro system, that ticket is no longer valid (toss it, because it's hard for newcomers to see the difference between a new and used ticket).

Don't worry about the t+ thing. Just ask for un carnet (roughly car-nay).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,270 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help with travel card for paris

>> I read it soewhere that you can use 1 ticket from point a to b and you can use it from a metro to metro and a bus to bus but not vice versa. <<

This is correct.

If you use the ticket for travel by metro or RER, it can be used from/to any Metro station (even outside zone 2) or any RER station in zone 1-2, including any necessary changes of line. It becomes invalid when you leave the Metro/RER system.

If you use the ticket for travel by bus, you must time-stamp it as you first get on the bus, using a machine near the driver. It is then valid for bus travel for (I think) 100 minutes. You can change between bus lines, but must keep moving in the same general direction. Return journeys are not allowed.