We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Gold Ring Scam

I keep seeing references to the gold ring scam, but can't seem to find an explanation of just what it is. Can someone explain it?

Thanks.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,324 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gold Ring Scam

A person comes up to you claiming to have found a gold ring and asking if its yours, When you say no, they show you that it is much too big for them and offer it to you anyway.

At this point, an honest person worries about the person who DID loose the ring and suggests returning to the lost and found and the scammer vanishes into thin air.

A dishonest person takes the ring, saying thank you. As s/he steps away the scammer asks for a few bucks, perhaps 20, since they found it, and its real gold and all....

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gold Ring Scam

Well, someone walks by you or in front of you, depending on if you're walking or stopped. That someone bends and makes a gesture as if (s)he has grabed a gold ring on the ground.

(s)he then prétends (s)he can't keep it for whatever reason (doesn't fit, etc), gives the so-called gold ring and then asks for "some money" as a compensation/for good luck..,

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,035 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gold Ring Scam

I think the general advice is to be aware and on your guard regarding anyone who approaches you.

Much has been written about the "bird poo scam" (someone squirts something onto your shoulder from behind, another person draws your attention to it and, while you attempt to clean it off, they pick your pocket). We witnessed this happening to someone in Barcelona but before we could warn them, their wallet was taken and the girl disappeared into the crowds.

There are several other forms of scams - you just have to be vigilant and, I'm sad to say, very suspicious.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gold Ring Scam

I am sorry to say that people still fall for the gold ring scam. A couple of days ago behind the opera, I saw a woman admiring a ring that she said looked quite valuable and profusely thanking the man who gave it to her. And then he started closing in on her. (She was clearly an out-of-town French woman.) I was really tempted to turn around and tell her what was going on, but then I decided that it was not my mission to fight all of the stupidity in the world.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Gold Ring Scam

If you put "gold ring scam" in the search box at the upper left of your page you will find 273 posts on the subject. If you read them all you will be ble to run your own gold ring scam.

Colorado
Level Contributor
316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gold Ring Scam

Having read all 273 posts i wonder what the real gold ring scam people would do if i started my own in their area and pulled it on them?

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gold Ring Scam

Thank you all for your replys. We will try to be vigilant.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Gold Ring Scam

dotdotgee, they would not be very happy with you but you could always switch to the string bracelet scam.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
197 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gold Ring Scam

This was going on five years ago when i was last in paris, as a rule don't let anyone give you anything/put anything on your hands/finger etc. We stuck our hands in our pockets, said "no thanks" and walked away. Wasn't scarey or anything.

Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
703 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gold Ring Scam

What are other typical scams, like the gold ring scam and the bird poo scam?