We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VE Day in Paris, 2013

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bellingham, wa
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
VE Day in Paris, 2013

We will be in Paris on VE Day this year. Does anyone know if there will be any commemorations of this? I realize Armistice Day is "bigger", but I've read that there have been parades/ceremonies at the Tomb of the Unknown soldier, etc (maybe those were on "big" anniversaries?)...

I lost an uncle in France in WWII so this would be a nice way to honor his memory....

minneapolis
Level Contributor
512 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: VE Day in Paris, 2013

I have been trying to find the same information ... I have used the "Search" function here and Googled for the information and although there is plenty about previous ceremonies, there is nothing about 2013. The Arc de Triomphe is closed to visitors that morning so I assume there will VE Day commemorations there but will there also be a parade?

Bellingham, wa
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: VE Day in Paris, 2013

Good to know that the AdT will be closed. I hadn't even seen that. Well, maybe as we get closer we'll find more information...Thanks. Maybe we can remember to "tag" each other if we learn something?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VE Day in Paris, 2013

Yes, there is always a ceremony at the Arc de Triomphe for any war commemoration.

However, this year will be quite low key for all such things because 2014 will be the year of all sorts of 100th anniversary commemorations of the beginning of the "Great War," and they are already working on what they will do then.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
512 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: VE Day in Paris, 2013

I went on the Arc de Triomphe webpage to get their opening/closing times and just happened to notice that they were closed the morning of May 8th ... so I put 2 and 2 together. I'm assuming that it's VE Day related. Maybe some more info will show up closer to the date.

Edit: Thank you, Kerouac. You were posting while I was writing.

Edited: 02 April 2013, 22:25
Ghent, Belgium
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: VE Day in Paris, 2013

have a stop in Ghent (Belgium) before you visit Paris ;) http://www.ve-day.be

Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VE Day in Paris, 2013

yes its happening right now outside near our hotel WEHA best western not sure of our streets. my boyfriend just went out to watch. we can hear the music from our room.. were from MI and lost here.. lets hook up we only have 1 more day.

Melissa

Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VE Day in Paris, 2013

sorry he couldn't find it although we can HEAR it from here it was at arch de triumph... live on the news tv . just ended

8. Re: VE Day in Paris, 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 00:17