We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where and how to travel Schengen countries

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
where and how to travel Schengen countries

Dears,

i will be travelling to Paris from 9th -- 17th Oct for business trip. will be having one weekend to explore nearby countries. can anyone advise which is the nearest places to Paris to travel in cheap way may be by train. and what attractions can be watched. thanks in advance.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,288 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where and how to travel Schengen countries

It might be easier to explore nearby parts of France rather than go to another country. The trains are very fast and in a few hours you could be in Avignon or the Loire valley or Champagne country, see Versailles or Chartres.

However the north east to places such as Brussels or Amsterdam are also reasonable.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,959 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where and how to travel Schengen countries

Both Amsterdam and London are easy weekend trips. I prefer London for an October visit myself, so much to see there.

To go to London you can take the Eurostar, its only 2.5 hours city center to city center,, tickets will not be that cheap now, usuaully it is best to buy them two or three months in advance for best price.

If you wish to visit Amsterdam then you can book a ticket on the Thalys train.. I think it was about 3.5 hours., I took that train last year but cannot remember exact timing. The price will not be the best as you did not book far in advance, but still check you may find a deal.

What to see and do in those places is up to you, in London I would visit the Royal British Museum, the Tower of London, and the Victoria and Albert museum, but everyones lists can be different.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where and how to travel Schengen countries

Forgot to mention... i only have Schengen visa. And i am indian. So, only can travel within schengen approved countries. London and Amsterdam sounds good but i think my visa is not eligible for that.

Considering this situation, kindly suggest.

cheers..

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where and how to travel Schengen countries

You are right that London would be out, as UK is noy a member of the Schengen agreement. However Amsterdam would be possible, as would Brussels or Luxembourg.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,411 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where and how to travel Schengen countries

Make your train bookings now for train travel within France or to Brussels or Amsterdam. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

Travel within France: en.voyages-sncf.com/en

Travel to Brussels or Amsterdam: www.thalys.com

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
848 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where and how to travel Schengen countries

Belgium is by far the easiest and nearest country to get to from Paris. As mentioned above if you book early the Thalys train has some good deals. Paris to Brissels is only 1hr15 and once in Belgium there are a few very nice places to Visit like Brugge (1hr from Brussels) Gent (30 min from Brussels) or Antwerp (35 min from Brussels). Depending on how much time you have I work try and fit in a day trip to Brugge and a day exploring Brussels.

7. Re: where and how to travel Schengen countries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 01:20