We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honfleur to the Bayeaux Tapestry

Wheaton, Illinois...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Honfleur to the Bayeaux Tapestry

I am looking for the best way to go from Honfleur (cruise ship) to see the Bayeaux Tapestry for two adults.

7 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
1. Re: Honfleur to the Bayeaux Tapestry

Hi, are you attempting to do this as a day trip while on your cruise and do you have a restricted timeframe? If so I think this could be very difficult unless the cruise offers an organised excursion.

Bayeux is about 95km from Honfleur by road. A taxi would be exorbitant (if a local was willing to do the trip) and difficult to ensure a return journey if you need that.

You could take a bus to Caen (Busvert is the company to look up) then a train - but that would take maybe 3 hrs each way with potentially few bus services.

I doubt there are regular private tours running out of Honfleur due to the distance and lack of regular potential customers, perhaps someone else will know.

Hiring a car to drive yourselves maybe the only realistic option if you intend to do this as a day trip in and out of Honfleur in a restricted time.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Honfleur to the Bayeaux Tapestry

Bonjour, Nancy,

Look up schedules from Honfleur to Bayeux on the Comment J'y vais website:

http://www.commentjyvais.fr/en/

You will also need to,look up in Google how to get to the Honfleur bus station and from the Caen train station to the tapestry. By the time that you add all the to and fro plus the actual transportation time, it will take about three hours each way, as stated in Post #1.

Wheaton, Illinois...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Honfleur to the Bayeaux Tapestry

Thanks for the information. It looks like driving would be the best way to go as we are restricted in time. The ship gets in at 7:00 a.m. and leaves at 6:00 p.m. (18:00). However, I don't think we can rent an automatic transmission car in Honfleur. We are over 70 years old and may not be able to drive ourselves in France. Is that true?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
4. Re: Honfleur to the Bayeaux Tapestry

Hi, Sixt has an agency in Honfleur and weekdays opens at 8:30 am and closes at 6pm, suiting your time frame.

Their site enables you to select Auto transmission and such cars come up as being available at Honfleur. There was no upper age restriction on their site just 18+.

Bayeux, France
Level Contributor
182 posts
80 reviews
5. Re: Honfleur to the Bayeaux Tapestry

Other option, you can try to see if other people are interested in your cruise ship and you can rent a private guide/driver for the day. They can accommodate up to 8 people, so you can divide the price. I've seen a lot of people doing it on cruise ship.

But renting a car is as well a good option. You have plenty of time since Bayeux is 75 minutes from Honfleur.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
6. Re: Honfleur to the Bayeaux Tapestry

Another possibility is getting a group together as Kormin suggests and using Overlord Tours https:/… as you seem to be able to customise this trip.

We did D Day touring with them out of Bayeux and they were excellent.

I think you can go on Cruise Critic and start a group for your trip to maybe find interested people. Good Luck with your travels :))

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,718 posts
93 reviews
7. Re: Honfleur to the Bayeaux Tapestry

I presume you mean the Bayeux tapestry. There is nowhere called Bayeaux in France.

Reply to: Honfleur to the Bayeaux Tapestry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted