We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying cognac

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
72 reviews
buying cognac

Do they sell cognac in supermarkets like in some other Countries or do you need to go to a specialty store in Honfleur?

Thank you

17 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
973 posts
1. Re: buying cognac

Alcohol is sold in supermarkets and convenience stores, there's no LCBO equivalent.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
72 reviews
2. Re: buying cognac

Thanks

That is what I needed to know

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
464 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: buying cognac

They do sell Cognac in most Superstores but the range of choices, for the country that produces Cognac, is usually very limited.

There are dozens of brands of Whisky/Whiskey but rarely more than a few options with Cognac/Brandy.

Most of it seems to be the stuff you'd pour on the Christmas pudding, and we've bought and consumed some in the past, and you will probably only recognise one or two brands.

And they are very expensive ......

You could try Armagnac - they have more of them and you may not tell the difference between Cognac and Armagnac - unless you are a connoisseur.

Essex
Level Contributor
32,012 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: buying cognac

Maybe you should try Calvados, as you will be in Normandy.....

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: buying cognac

<<you may not tell the difference between Cognac and Armagnac >>

Yes, because Armagnac is better. Actually, I don't know if it's that Armagnac is inherently better, but I think there are many more good Armagnacs produced. Most Cognac is produced by large houses that blend, while there are dozens of small Armagnac producers that make estate bottled Armagnac.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
72 reviews
6. Re: buying cognac

Thanks for the info

I do not care for any of them but DH likes a nice Cognac

He got a nice bottle of Remy Martin in Amsterdam for less than we can buy it here in Canada

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
53 reviews
7. Re: buying cognac

<<He got a nice bottle of Remy Martin in Amsterdam for less than we can buy it here in Canada>>

Having shopped often at the LCBO, I'm not surprised.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9,959 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: buying cognac

I agree with #4 that since you are going to be buying in Normandy why not buy the local specialty -- Calvados?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
53 reviews
9. Re: buying cognac

I agree with ##4 and 8. Apples may not make very good wine, but they can make very good brandy.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
72 reviews
10. Re: buying cognac

maybe he will try it

not sure he has tried Calvados

but that would be like asking for a good single Malt scotch & saying buy Jamieson Irish whiskey ..while both may be good they are different tastes

Thanks for the info though

Reply to: buying cognac
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted