We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice pickpockets

Liverpool, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Nice pickpockets

Any advice or tips to avoid being targeted?

24 replies to this topic
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice pickpockets

I keep my most important documents, cards money etc in a cross body bag which I hold against me, clasp facing inwards, when in a crowd. I also keep spare card in a separate place ( bottom of a rucksack, lining of a case etc) in case my bag goes missing.

Generally Nice is like any other large city or crowd, be vigilant and be aware. This can happen anywhere you visit but being aware of your surroundings is the key. Especially if in a queue bustling to try and get onto a bus / train.

Also sitting at restaurants for example dont leave a bag slung over the back of a chair or on the floor, set it on your knee - much safer :)

Tullamore, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice pickpockets

I carry enough cash and sometimes a car if I need it it in a very small credit card-sized wallet in a zipped pocket. Nobody has ever tried to take that. Be aware of typical scams like Roma gypsies crowding on to trams and pushing against you to distract you (especially on trams). Anyone getting even close to doing this to my family or I meet quite visible disapproval from me and quickly get the message. Despite French law requiring you to carry ID I cannot see for the life of me why a tourist would carry around passports and important documents on a day out. Take pictures of your passport on your smart phone if you feel paranoid that the lazy French police will ask you for it. Only take your passport if you are crossing the border into Italy for example. Other than that leave it in your apartment or hotel. Ignore anyone coming up to you on the street, they do not want to give you money.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice pickpockets

My post does read wrong - I definitely dont carry passports around - they are safely stowed in accommodation. By important documents I mean the photocopies of everyones passport that I carry - as per French law lol.

Had never crossed my mind that a photo on phone would suffice - will be doing that for this years trip.

Another point is if someone has a knife and wants your bag / wallet - just give it to them - dont fight back, not worth risking your life over.

Edited: 22 April 2018, 05:24
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
8,975 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice pickpockets

What do you do in Liverpool? Do the same in Nice.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
56 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice pickpockets

I had a rotund 35-45 year old African looking lady brush up against me in galleries Lafayette a couple of weeks ago as I went up the escalier a first time I've knowingly been a target.

Nice isn't (i dont think) as bad as other major European vacation resorts, as the others say just keep your wits about ypu

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice pickpockets

It isn't about being alert or not being a target or whatever. Pickpockets are mostly professionals, usually not French but part of organized crime families that have easily entered major tourist sites in western Europe as the result of dropped borders. Most of the times you won't even see them work, just discover your stuff is gone. so the only way to avoid this is to not be a walking buffet. Do not carry valuables in pockets or backpacks; if you use a cross body purse be sure your arm is across the top in crowded places. A money belt under your clothes is useful in transit but it is not a purse; it is a body safe and you don't access it in public. One of those neck wallets under a shirt can work. I buy clothes with hidden pockets and then carry only a minimum of cash and one credit card. Travel shirts with a hidden zipped pocket behind the breast pocket are good; less good are the ones with the hidden pocket on the seam. Scottevest.com makes a woman's trench coat with 18 hidden pockets which is my go to jacket for cool weather; Magellan has some clothing with hidden pockets.

Keep most of your valuables in the hotel safe and just carry one card and the money you need for the day.

The trick is to be pickpocket proof and then not worry about it. You can assume that any tourist site or public transport will have pickpockets. There is little violent crime, but this petty stuff is common.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Magellan
Magellan
171 Reviews
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Tullamore, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice pickpockets

There is nothing 'petty' about having your wallet and cards stolen. Likewise, there is nothing 'petty' about being pushed into a corner and being restrained by someone whilst they rob you. This is assault and should be reacted to appropriately. If a rotund person tries that with me then they will be sitting on their fat posterior quicker than you can say 'baguette'. There are too many hand wringers on these fora down playing these crimes. These people are professional parasites and they won't get one cent of my hard-earned money. If you see them on the tram then stare them down and they quickly get the message. We have them in Ireland also. One of my friends owns a chain of shops and when one tried to sneak in behind the counter whilst the other distracted the shop assistant he beat them out the back door. They didn't come back. The hand wringers would call this assault, whilst those of us who earn our money and pay our tax would call it protecting your property.

Edited: 22 April 2018, 10:57
Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice pickpockets

Yeah strut strut. The girls who are sent out to pick pocket often have muscle behind them; getting into a physical altercation is not likely to end well for you. And if you hurt someone trying to take your wallet, you are then the assailant. Good luck with that. Don't be a walking buffet rather than fantasizing about being a big man who can slam people around. I agree these people are parasites and it is disgusting that the authorities don't do more to deal with the problem. But puffing and snorting is not as effective as not keeping a wallet i your pocket.

Tullamore, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice pickpockets

Its not a fantasy...it is how I deal with people who try to assault me or my family...but feel free to use the fluffy pillow approach with them and down playing their criminal behaviour.

Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
103 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice pickpockets

I did use my money belt in Paris, but when we left Paris I did not feel it necessary in Lyon, Avignon, Arles, and Nice. Maybe I'm wrong. Just thought those places would be a lot safer. I grew up in New York City, and never had a fear of pickpockets there.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Arles
Arles