We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best rail option from Frankfurt to Nuremburg?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Best rail option from Frankfurt to Nuremburg?

My wife and I arrive in Frankfurt on a Lufthansa flight at 8 am on Sunday, Dec. 2, and plan to travel immediately to Nuremburg. It seems that we have three options:

1) Lufthansa Express Rail ticket. This is the least expensive and most convenient option, but we're travelling as Air Canada passengers and Lufthansa apparently will not sell us the ticket;

2) Buy tickets on the DB website. This is an economical approach and guarantees that we can travel, but we have to allow plenty of time (two hours?) at Frankfurt airport in order to be sure we make our connection; or

3) Buy the earliest available ticket once we arrive at the train station.

Any advice woulld be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

5 replies to this topic
greeley, CO
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
593 reviews
1. Re: Best rail option from Frankfurt to Nuremburg?

The one time I bought a ticket in advance, my flight was several hours late. 5 other of my flights to Europe have been up to 1 day late. You can gamble if you feel the cost difference is worth it.

i lost only 29E and would have saved 75.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,812 posts
159 reviews
2. Re: Best rail option from Frankfurt to Nuremburg?

If you buy in advance for a specific train and leave some leeway, you are still taking a chance, but the cost should be pretty low, in case you miss the train. If you are left with too much time, 1) the train station at the airport is nice, 2) the airport has some public showers which are clean and cheap.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,744 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Best rail option from Frankfurt to Nuremburg?

1) is only a reasonable option if you book it together with your flight. If you do it is a pretty good option.

Otherwise, I‘d probably go for option 2). And 2 hours sounds like a good amount of time.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,448 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Best rail option from Frankfurt to Nuremburg?

Can you book a Rail & Fly ticket with Air Canada? That would be an economic and fully flexible option.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,742 posts
5. Re: Best rail option from Frankfurt to Nuremburg?

1) Rail&Fly is offered by various airlines in cooperation with DB. Albeit Air Canada is not among these.

https:/…rail-and-fly-english.shtml

4. Using regional trains on a Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket

https:/…

EUR 50 for 2 persons (together).

+ always available and can be bought on spot

+ this is a day ticket, you can take any connection with regional trains to Nuremberg

+ this ticket covers furthermore all local public transport in Nuremberg (thus also the U-Bahn, trams and buses)

- only regional trains (thus somewhat slower than by ICE trains)

- you'll normally have to change trains at least once

DB timetable

https:/…en

To: N

and select "only local transport"

Reply to: Best rail option from Frankfurt to Nuremburg?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted