We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glossglockner high alpine road

Which Bavaria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Havertown...
Level Contributor
325 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Glossglockner high alpine road

We will be in Munich/Salzburg area in late September - early October and would like to know exactly where to go to start the Glossglockner high alpine road. We will have a rental car.

We will spend 6 nights in Munich, 4 nights in Grassau in Chiemgau and 6 nights in Schönau am Königssee. Based on where we are staying, from which city would be the best to take the ride? I can't seem to get my head around where the scenic ride starts. I have downloaded the PDFs from the official website, but I'm still lost.

How much time would be reasonable to take the ride and enjoy stopping to "smell the roses?"

Any information would be most appreciative.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
35,593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Glossglockner high alpine road

Barely any difference if you start in Grassau or Schönau.

http://www.viamichelin.com

Departure: 83471 Schönau am Königssee, Germany

Departure: 83224 Grassau, Germany

Destination: 9844 Heiligenblut, Austria

Heiligenblut is the end point of the Grossglockner HIgh Alpine Road

The start point is also listed by viamichelin as you have to pay toll there

Grossglockner: Toll: 32.00 EUR

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glossglockner high alpine road

This is a stunning drive, as you might well imagine. We did this last year and I believe we took a couple of hours. We stopped for coffee and kuchen at The Ahornkaser, which is the highest attainable by car restaurant in Germany. Parking on site. It is at the Südauffahrt seen at the beginning of the summit section, can't miss it. Parking P3 on the map.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glossglockner high alpine road

Hi,

The starting point is called "Bruck an der Grossglocknerstrasse". While the starting points of Grassau in Chiemgau and Schönau am Königssee are similar, I'd go from Schönau am Königssee. By the way, we've stayed in this area many times... 4 nights in Schönau am Königssee (11/10) and a total of 11 nights in Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden (10/06, 10/07 and 9/09). We drove the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse starting in Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden (about 10 min. from Schönau am Königssee) on our way to the Dolomites. The drive from Konigsee to the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse is under 2 hours. Take the 305 to Schneizelreuth and then take the B21 into Austria (where the B21 becomes the B178). At Lofer (cute village) take the B311 through Saalfelden and past Zell am See. here you'll see signs for Bruck and the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse. I would drive the Grossglockner and then on the way back, if you have the time, spend an hour or 2 in Zell am See. Maybe walk around and/or have dinner here. Beautiful old town with a gorgeous lakeside setting! I know driving the Grossglockner one way and then back is "backtracking", but it's all so magnificent!

We have some photo's at:

worldisround.com/articles/338868/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/324599/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/355540/index.html

Paul

Havertown...
Level Contributor
325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glossglockner high alpine road

Thanks to al for the wonderful information!

We took a similar trip in 2006 and looking forward to experience different sites on this trip. That trip we did all the "must sees." In 2009 we went to Munich (5 nights), Lindau (6 nights) and Schönau am Königssee (6nights).

Paul your photos are beautiful and can't wait to experience it myself.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glossglockner high alpine road

Thank you for the compliment.

6. Re: Glossglockner high alpine road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 22:42