We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting A Car from Munich Airpor to Garmish

Dubai, United Arab...
2 posts
Renting A Car from Munich Airpor to Garmish

Hi, I am traveling with my family (2 adults and 2 kids) to Garmish, Germany along with 3 luggages. This is my first trip to Europe and my friends proposed me to rent a car instead of using public transport, as I have two kids aged 6 and 4. I would like to know if renting a car is a best option for travelling around Germany and is it easy to drive in Germany?

Thanking you in advance,

Muhammed

6 replies to this topic
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,488 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Renting A Car from Munich Airpor to Garmish

With family and luggage in tow it may indeed be more convenient to rent a car. Also if you want to explore a lot around Garmisch a car gives you flexibility. But it is possible to travel by public transportation, too. No problem. It would probably even come cheaper for what you are up to. But basically it comes down to personal preference.

One hitch could be road conditions in the winter. But with some caution not even that should be a huge hindrance as roads get cleared quickly anyway.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,710 posts
80 reviews
2. Re: Renting A Car from Munich Airpor to Garmish

be aware that both your children will need to be in car seats. you can bring your own, or rent them from the hire company.

you dont say when you are travelling , but if in winter, even with roads clear of snow, you can have blizzard conditions and black ice. so be careful

also, please check the traffic laws in germany, and if you driving licence is not in english or german, you will need an IDP.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
106 reviews
3. Re: Renting A Car from Munich Airpor to Garmish

On rail passes such as the Bavaria (Bayern) ticket, your children travel for free (31 euros for 2 adults), includes regiona trains and local transport (bus, trams, s-bahn, etc)

https:/…

Dubai, United Arab...
2 posts
4. Re: Renting A Car from Munich Airpor to Garmish

Thank you. Appreciated for your honest feedback.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
366 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: Renting A Car from Munich Airpor to Garmish

One more item is if your going one way vs. returning to the same location you will pay a premium on that also.

With Navigation driving is a snap in Germany. I prefer it to the US, Drivers seem more focused on there driving but the down side to that, they expect the same. Just my opinion.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,752 posts
6. Re: Renting A Car from Munich Airpor to Garmish

> On rail passes such as the Bavaria (Bayern) ticket,

You can use on this route also the cheaper Regio-Ticket Werdenfels. EUR 28 for you family.

https:/…regio-ticket-werdenfels.shtml

This day ticket can be bought on spot.

From the airport to München Hbf (Munich main train station) you can take any S-Bahn train (S1 or S8). As the airport is the terminal station for both lines there is no problem with luggage or seats. There is a train roughly every 10 minutes.

From München Hbf to Garmisch-Partenkirchen there are hourly regional trains. Again these trains start at München Hbf.

Reply to: Renting A Car from Munich Airpor to Garmish
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted