We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neue Nationalgalerie permanent collection closed

London, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Neue Nationalgalerie permanent collection closed

Just in case any art lovers are planning a trip in the next few days this is to let you know that the Neue Nationalgalerie's permanent collection is closed till 10th November. This was a disappointment for me as it was one of the reasons I bought I'd bought a museum card. I was also disappointed by the Hamburger Bahnof as we weren't allowed to visit much with the card and, although the wing with the Warhols is great, the rest of the permanent collection is mainly video art and Beuys, so whether a visit is worth it or not depends on your tastes. The temporary exhibition looked good - from a distance! - but cost an extra 8 euros - so if you go without a card to see it all will cost 20 euros. (As someone who visits London a lot it makes you very grateful for our fantastic free galleries!)

On a more positive note, we really enjoyed the Berlinische Galerie, near the Jewish Museum (which is also wonderful).

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,684 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neue Nationalgalerie permanent collection closed

I'm sorry you had that disappointment, but hope you got your money's worth out of the museum card, which is such good value. The NN collection was just about to shut up shop when I was there in September - if it's any consolation, I don't think it's that great a collection (a view arrived at after several visits over several years).

I quite agree with you about the Hamburger Bahnhof - and, of course about London's museums!

London, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neue Nationalgalerie permanent collection closed

Hello. Yes, we did get our money's worth, but... Had I known how many excellent historical sites (many free) there are in Berlin, and how good the weather was going to be for just 'wandering', I probably wouldn't have bothered with the museum card on a 5 day trip. Instead we would have seen more of what is unique - in terms of history, atmosphere etc - to Berlin.

London may have great free galleries, but Berlin's free Reichstag tour and the Topography of Terror, and the Holocaust memorial, are superb. And there's so much more we didn't see,,,

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,684 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neue Nationalgalerie permanent collection closed

You'll go back, then! Berlin has obviously bitten you.

Wherever you walk, you're walking where something earth-shaking has happened; and it's that ever-present history that makes Berlin so unique and so exciting. Add to that some of the world's greatest museums and open spaces - you can't ask much more of a city than that. Engaging with it all demands quite a lot of time, as you've found - but it's easy to get there from the UK. We're lucky!

Yes, the Topography of Terror is a wonderful site. I spent a lot of time there in September, and will be going again next week.

Edited: 02 November 2011, 10:10
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neue Nationalgalerie permanent collection closed

Lots of the historical memorial sites in Berlin are free; i'm thinking of all the Gedenkstätten and other exhibitions relating to Third Reich and GDR history like the new one in the "Palace of Tears/Tränenpalast". Iit's just not the art museums. In fact the history mmuseums are also reasonably priced for big collections (&€ for Deutsches Historisches is an incredible bargain) but I've noticed that Museum Island prices are going up and up.

However pretty well everything else in Berlin is much cheaper than London so it's swings and roundabouts.

unlike Alabastron I had enjoyed the current hanging of works from the collection of the Neue Nationalgalerie (mainly early 20th century). However as NN doesn't have a permanent collection on display alongside special exhibitions you take your chance with what there is to see there.. We are big fans of the German Expressionists and the first visit to Berlin there was an exhibition on Max Ernst so we skipped it, In fact it took quite a while to see some Expressionists there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,684 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neue Nationalgalerie permanent collection closed

Hi Lynda

There is a permanent collection of 20th-century art, but it's inferior (I think) to those in Paris and New York (though a lot better than London). It's far too large to show everything at once, so what's on show is always a selection.

I like the German Expressionists: their work is what mainly interests me at the NN. My complaint is that they don't give sufficient space to the work of the best (in my view) of the group. The last couple of times I was there there was too much Kirchner, and very little Beckmann, and most no Nolde (two of the greatest painters of the century) or Kokoschka. It was a dissatisfying experience, hence my rather too-general remark.

Edited: 03 November 2011, 03:09
6. Re: Neue Nationalgalerie permanent collection closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2012, 00:17