We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tram lines in Frankfurt/Neighborhood across river from Romer

Mount Laurel, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tram lines in Frankfurt/Neighborhood across river from Romer

I was in Frankfurt with my daughter for an afternoon and evening last summer. We walked from the train station to the Romer. We left the Romer and crossed the river over a bridge a couple of blocks away. We ended up across the river in a charming neighborhood that had a great ice cream shop and also several restaurants which were located in courtyards of buildings. We tried the infamous "hand cheese with music" at one of those restaurants. We took a tram from that neighborhood back across the river to the main train station in Frankfurt. My husband and I will be in Fankfurt this summer for an afternoon and evening. I would love to find the little neighborhood across the river from the Romer again so i could show my husband one of those courtyard restaurants. I would also like to get back to the main Frankfurt train station via tram. I realize that i am not providing a lot of detail. but if anyone could help me locate that neighborhood, as well as the tram line that will take us back to the train station, we would appreciate it.

6 replies to this topic
Idstein, Germany
Level Contributor
238 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tram lines in Frankfurt/Neighborhood across river from Romer

Probably Brueckenviertel, Markt im Hof and the Bizziice shop?:

http://www.bizzi-ice.com/

Tram stop Frankensteiner Platz?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,042 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tram lines in Frankfurt/Neighborhood across river from Romer

You are talking about Sachsenhausen, which is where I am living.You did not say where you are staying, so I give you a couple of options. From the main railwaystation you can take tram line #16 to Textorstrasse/Lokalbahnhof, it is a 12 min ride and walk from there 2/3 minutes to old sachsenhausen(which you probably missed the first time around).

Another option would be if you are already around the Zeil to go to Konstablerwache and take Bus 30 or 36 to Affentorplatz. There you find Applewine Taverns with nice beer/wine gardens and good food. Struwwelpeter and Dauth Schneider are my favorites,there are next to each other and if you exit thru the back, you are in the old town, While rather quiet during the day, it is rather lively at night. Also make sure to visit the Frau Rauscher at Klappergasse, a famous fountain as she was a angry woman that spit on people and of course we build a fountain in her honor that,well, spits on people,lol. It is a great area. Try the green souce the next time. It is a local specialty

Edited: 10 August 2017, 10:56
Mount Laurel, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tram lines in Frankfurt/Neighborhood across river from Romer

Thank you! It was BZZIce for Gelato. The restaurant is Fichtekranzi. We will cab or Uber to Romer, walk across the metal footbridge, and grab a meal at Fichetekranzi and maybe a BZZice. Any suggestions on which tram to take back to the main train station after we leave Fichtekranzi (which is on Wallstrabe)?

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
8,544 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tram lines in Frankfurt/Neighborhood across river from Romer

Line 16 goes all the way from Textorstrasse, which is just two blocks or so from Fichtekränzi, to the station. There is good tram connection from Hauptbahnhof to Römer as well btw: lines 11 and 12 run from just outside O'Reillys pub across the street from the station down Münchner Strasse with its restaurants, past Willy-Brandt square with the theater and opera complex, followed by the huge construction site of new high-rises and into the historic center. It stops right at Dom/Römer.

Btw: the German letter 'ß' (like in Straße = street) is not a 'b' but a special s-phoneme. One can replace it with 'ss'. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9F

Edited: 12 August 2017, 02:37
Mount Laurel, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tram lines in Frankfurt/Neighborhood across river from Romer

Thank you oil-6!

Frankfurt
Level Contributor
543 posts
136 reviews