We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours in Frankfurt with teenager

NC
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
24 hours in Frankfurt with teenager

Hello, my daughter and I will have 24hours in Frankfurt first week in September. We are landing at 3pm and leaving the next day at 3:30pm. I have been to Frankfurt years ago, and she has only seen it out of the airplane window.

I am thinking to catch S-Bahn to Hauptbahnhof. Walk around city center, maybe peek into Zeil for some minimal shopping, have dinner, spend a night at hotel, catch a train to Hoechst neighborhood in the morning so she could see an old town German style, eat lunch and around 12:30-1pm head back to the airport.

Does that sound do-able? What hotel would you recommend - something near restaurants for our dinner, maybe near Zeil?. Looking at the map Hoechst is closer to the airport than city center, what train we would take?

Any other tips...? Thank you.

6 replies to this topic
Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hours in Frankfurt with teenager

Sounds reasonable.

When the weather is good you can relax at the riverside as so many other students do and try a cider. A good cafe is just at the Riverside in front of the Staedel museum another one on the other side in front of the new European Central Bank.

From Hoechst to the airport you can take bus no. 58, check www.rmv.de for more info.

Around the main station there are enough hotels, in the end it does not matter where exactly your hotel is, the city is very walkable - as long as you avoid the airport.

Edited: 13 August 2017, 18:48
NC
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 hours in Frankfurt with teenager

Thank you.

Realistically, we will probably get into city center at 4:30-5pm. Is it too late to walk for a few hours (not planning to go into any museums)? Not sure how quickly city dies down for the night.

Maybe I should switch up and go to Hoechst from the airport, then city center in the morning before heading to the airport at around 13:00. Is Hoechst neighborhood even worth the stop..?

Edited: 13 August 2017, 21:09
Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hours in Frankfurt with teenager

What day of the week will you be here? The Farmers market in Höchst is on Tues. Fri. & Sat. from 07:00-13:00. I would sightsee in Frankfurt that evening and go to Höchst in the morning before you go to the airport.

Many of the best sights to see in Frankfurt are possible no matter the time of day. Only sites like the Klein Markt Halle (closes at 18:00 weekdays, 16:00 on Sat.) or the Karmeliter Cloister (closes at 18:00) you need to see right away. The churches (Kaiserdom, Alte Nikolai) close at 20:00 most of the year.

Have dinner in Sachsenhausen in the applewine pub district. Something nice and traditional, Frankfurt German style. Try Dauth Schneiders, Atschel, Lorsbacher Thal, etc.

NC
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hours in Frankfurt with teenager

Thank You. We will be Wednesday/Thursday. I was wondering if we get a chance to check out Farmer's market somewhere.

Any special cool spots near city center to impress a teenager? They can be picky :)

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
8,585 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 hours in Frankfurt with teenager

Start with a trip up Maintower: http://www.maintower.de/en/ I'm sure even your teenager will be impressed by the views and the experience to really stand on the roof of a skyscraper.

NC
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 hours in Frankfurt with teenager

Maintower is definitely on my list. Thank you!

I am having second thoughts if we have enough time and if it's worth spending it on riding trains. I am thinking to just stay in citi center for the entire time, and not bother with Höchst.

However, would it be enough time for our arriving layover to go to Höchst - given there is no delay from usa, we are landing at 3pm and will be flying out at 8:40pm, so 5hours 45mins. Is the best way to get there by bus? I am thinking train would be safer and guarantee no traffic.

Reply to: 24 hours in Frankfurt with teenager
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted