We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in and around Frankfurt

5 posts
Save Topic
Travel in and around Frankfurt

I will be arriving at Frankfurt airport August 29th and would like some help knowing the best way to travel around. My short stay in Frankfurt ( Frankfurt Messe) will include a trip to Selters then I intend to go to Boppard. From there to Cologne and from Cologne to Brussels and back to Frankfurt. Would it be best to buy individual tickets for each of these journies by train? Or is there some kind of ticket that would cover my travel , at least inside Germany?

10 replies to this topic
Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in and around Frankfurt

No individual tickets are the better deals.

For the trip to Selters check www.rmv.de

For all other trips it is www.bahn.com If you book in advance you can save a significant amount of money here.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in and around Frankfurt

Advance booking pays for the trips to and from Brussels. For Frankfurt to Boppard simply buy a ticket for the RE train from a ticket machine. If you intend to travel around in the Boppard area there are other solutions, like an RMV ticket to Mainz + a Rheinland-Pfalz ticket or, once you are in Boppard, VRM day tickets for the greater Koblenz area.

Book Boppard to Cologne in advance if you intend to use an ICE, IC or EC train, usually from Koblenz. The savings are not so significant for this relatively short stretch.

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in and around Frankfurt

Thank you so much for your input - this helps enormously

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel in and around Frankfurt

You might want to know that there is the biggest cultural festival in Europe going on along the river in Frankfurt that weekend. To leave the city would be crazy. 20+stages of live music, food from all around the worls and what not. Entrance is free. Plus you can get for €6 a button that gains you entrance of the most popular museums in the city, all weekend long!

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel in and around Frankfurt

The Museums Riverbank Fest this year is from 25-27 Aug. and the buttons increased in price last year to 7€.

Still a great deal, but sadly Julia will miss it. Maybe next year? It is always the last weekend in Aug.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel in and around Frankfurt

It is €7 now? Scandal,lol, nah, it is a great deal and a amazing festival/party

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel in and around Frankfurt

" ...then I intend to go to Boppard."

Direct trains run from Frankfurt's main station to Boppard every 2 hours - the trip takes about 90 minutes, fare is €24 regional train fare from a station ticket machine. The RE trains are direct and run a few minutes after 7, 9 and 11 am; additional connecting train options exist as well.

If on that same day you intend to make additional trips, take detbo's advice instead on tickets from Frankfurt:

"...an RMV ticket to Mainz" (€8.35 for one) + "...a Rheinland-Pfalz ticket" (€24 for one.) With the R-P ticket, you'll pay nothing extra for additional trips (to Braubach, or Cochem, for example) that day.

vrminfo.de/en/…

For travel near Boppard on SUBSEQUENT days, take detbo's day-ticket suggestion...

vrminfo.de/en/…

5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel in and around Frankfurt

Excellent. Thank you so much. Getting excited about my trip now

5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel in and around Frankfurt

Thank you so much for the info

5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel in and around Frankfurt