We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Stations at Frankfurt Airport

Washington DC...
14 posts
Save Topic
Train Stations at Frankfurt Airport

Hello everyone,

I will be flying in Sept. 2 to FRA. Then take the train to Trier. I have purchased SWT (happy weekend ticket) ticket to Trier via Koblenz. I realized that there are two train stations in FRA. The train I will take will be RE4256. Am I supposed to go to the long distance train station or the regional train station?

I asked before if this SWT ticket is valid to continue my trip to Luxembourg. And I was told not valid even I take the RE train to Luxembourg. I searched over internet and found one article specifically said the SWT ticket valid to Luxembourg. However, the article was a couple of years old. Could someone tell me if it is valid?

On my last day in Frankfurt, I need to ride the train from city center to the airport. Where can I buy the S Bahn train ticket for 4.95 Euro? DB website shows me some trains are not available to purchase tickets for unknown reasons (between 8-9am).

Thank you so much for your help!

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Stations at Frankfurt Airport

1. You need to go the Regional Station, platform 2/3.

2. Your Happy Weekend Ticket is only valid on one day of the weekend (Sat or Sun) and not in Luxemburg.

You had better buy a "Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket Lux" and additionally a ticket from the airport to Mainz

3. The ticket from Frankfurt city to the airport can be bought at any vending machine but it is not valid on IC or ICE trains (they are for the long distances)

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
6,194 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Stations at Frankfurt Airport

Buy your S-bahn ticket to the airport from Frankfurt on your day of travel. Get it from the ticket machine.They are time stamped so get it shortly before you want to go. They only cost 4.80€, not 4.95€. There is an S-8 or S-9 every 15 min. going to the airport, so have no idea what that the DB website is talking about with no trains or tickets from 8-9.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,580 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Stations at Frankfurt Airport

a) No need to buy tickets for regional trains (like the SWT) in advance.

Best deal from Frankfurt Airport to Luxembourg would have been a RMV single trip trip ticket to Mainz (EUR 4,80 pp) and a Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket Lux (EUR 30,00 for 1 person).

b) DB timetable won't show RMV tariff ticket prices. Like from Frankfurt to Frankfurt Airport. Only for long distance trains (IC/EC, ICE) as for them the DB tariff applies.

RMV journey planer tells you also about the fares

https:/…en

To: Frankfurt (Main) Flughafen Regionalbahnhof

Note that RMV tickets cover all means of local public transport:

- regional trains

- S-Bahn trains

- U-Bahn (metro)

- trams

- regional buses

- city buses

You can buy RMV tickets from DB ticket machines (also from other ticket machines in Frankfurt and from the bus drivers or RMV sales points).

Washington DC...
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Stations at Frankfurt Airport

Thank you! Does the vending machine accept credit card? or cash only?

Washington DC...
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Stations at Frankfurt Airport

Thanks for your information.

Washington DC...
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Stations at Frankfurt Airport

Thanks. How do I book LUX back to FRA ticket using the Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket Lux (EUR 30,00 for 1 person)? Which station should I select? Mainz, Landessozialgericht Rheinland-Pfalz (Öffent Frankfurt(Main)Hbf is the correct one? DB website shows tickets not available?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,580 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Stations at Frankfurt Airport

> Does the vending machine accept credit card?

Depends on the ticket. DB tickets: yes. RMV tickets: no.

> how do I book LUX back to FRA ticket using the Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket Lux (EUR 30,00 for 1 person)?

You can buy it after arriving in Frankfurt from a ticket machine or at a counter (will add a service fee of EUR 2,00). There is no "booking" - Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket Lux has just a date and the number of travelers on it. No start point, no destination.

The ticket is not offered online.

When traveling back to Frankfurt you have to exit at Mainz Hbf (main train station) and buy a RMV ticket to Frankfurt (EUR 8,35). RMV single trip tickets are not sold online.

Washington DC...
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Stations at Frankfurt Airport

Thank you Abalada!

Washington DC...
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Stations at Frankfurt Airport

I searched the DB website for trains in case my flight arrives late. I noticed that some shows only partial fare and indicated the next leg is to use BUS. Do I have do buy a bus ticket? Where is the bus stop located in Bahnhof Türkismühle? It says "Bus 290". Bus Direction: Hauptbahnhof, Trier

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Stations at Frankfurt Airport

Rmv machines accept my credit card, you just need a pin too