We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to plan my Frankfurt trip, what to do?

Level Contributor
185 posts
11 reviews
Trying to plan my Frankfurt trip, what to do?

The way it works out I have one full day until 5pm Frankfurt. The night I am busy.

I then have one full day and night from 2pm until whenever really.

I have one full day and night completely.

On first day I would explore Frankfurt so what suggestions to do for say 5hrs.

The free day I plan a day trip marsburg perhaps as in other thread suggestion.

Then the day I have from 2pm I am not sure what to do, there doesn’t seem much to see in Frankfurt so if I spent 5hrs on first day what should I do now. Perhaps another day trip that’s nearby or still 5ings to see in Frankfurt.

Many thanks.

23 replies to this topic
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,470 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Trying to plan my Frankfurt trip, what to do?

Frankfurt is a rather compact city so one can see many of its major sights in a fairly short time. I usually recommend the following walking tour which can be done in 2-4 hours:

Start at Taunusanlage, a park on the edge of the financial district with its skyscrapers. It is served by all S-Bahn trains, but can also easily be reached from any hotel near Hauptbahnhof. If skies are clear I’d highly recommend a visit of the viewing platform on top of the Maintower skyscraper: http://www.maintower.de/en/

Then back through the park to Alte Oper, the beautiful old opera house. From there keep to the right and walk down the pedestrian zone. This strip is known as "Fressgass" which translates roughly into “food alley” - lots of restaurants.

You will come out at Hauptwache, not particularly scenic but something like the heart of the city. It is also the beginning of the Zeil, Frankfurt's busiest shopping zone. Turn into Neue Kräme (next to the Esprit store). At the next square to the left is the entrance to Kleinmarkthalle, a market hall worth a peak and perfect to grab lunch.

Continue down Neue Kräme past Paulskirche (a church turned into Germany's first national parliament building in 1848) onto Römer square. Next to the half-timbered houses opposite the historic city hall you can walk up a narrow street to reach a newly reconstructed neighborhood of Frankfurt’s oldtown. Gives you a feel of the “old Frankfurt” which was ultimately destroyed in the WWII air raids. You may want to check out the cathedral, especially the views from its tower, then walk down to the Main river, across Eiserner Steg (iron bridge) for a nice city view. Cross back on the next bridge downriver and you are at Willy-Brandt-Platz back near Taunusanlage and the Bahnhofsviertel. Down Münchner and Kaiserstrasse are lots of restaurants and bars.

Many of Frankfurt’s museums are lined-up nicely along the Main river banks. Which one to visit depends on your interests, of course, but one can spend days in the museums alone. Most renown is probably the Städel art museum. www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=5021811

Also check out this helpful thread about things to do during a layover in Frankfurt: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187337-i301-k6809…

A must do is an evening in one of the traditional applewine taverns which are mostly located in Old-Sachsenhausen at the southside of the Main river. Dauth-Schneider, Fichtekränzi, Atschel, Lorsbacher Thal - all great! Sachsenhausen in general has tons of watering holes and is stag doe heaven.

With your timeframe I wouldn't even leave the city. But what sidetrip to do is a matter of personal interest, of course. Marburg has a nice oldtown anyway, but so do many other cities in the region.

Level Contributor
185 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Trying to plan my Frankfurt trip, what to do?

Thanks so much great write up for me there. One question when you talk about the skyscraper, you pay to go to top? But it is not balcony or outside you are safe indroors or outdoors? Not a fan of heights haha.

I was thinking even Mainz for day trip now as it’s closer by.

Cheers

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,470 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Trying to plan my Frankfurt trip, what to do?

I wouldn't talk you out of visiting Mainz. ;-) Also very walkable and a whole different city with a nice REAL oldtown and a huge cathedral. There is on older article with a suggested walking tour by me: https:/…Walk.Mainz.In.One.Day.html

The Maintower Observation Deck is really on top of the building - 200 meters up, open air. One can also stay inside behind the windows, though. Tickets are 7,50 EUR. https://www.maintower.de/en/

Level Contributor
185 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Trying to plan my Frankfurt trip, what to do?

I see and you take lift or stairs haha, how long to go up. Not excited for a 5min lift journey either but i think views be worth it.

Thanks for links Mainz not so far away I am in Frankfurt almost a week just not all my days are free but possible one for day trip. I can do half days in Frankfurt etc when not busy.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,091 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Trying to plan my Frankfurt trip, what to do?

Make sure to cross the river to Sachsenhausen and visit the famous Applewine Taverns that serve great local food, plus some of these places are 100+ years old. There is a concentration of those around Affentorplatz. Struwwelpeter and Dauth Schneider have nice beergardens too. Across the street you will find Fichtekränzi and Atschel, both equally good. Behind the first two taverns mentions(use the back exit) will be Old Sachsenhausen with it's cobblestone streets and probably over a 100 bars and restazrant to go for a drink or two before heading back to the Hotel. That area is quiet during the day, but busy at night, especially on the weekends

Level Contributor
185 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Trying to plan my Frankfurt trip, what to do?

you can walk across the bridges or there are specific ones like prague for walking and others for cars etc..

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,091 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Trying to plan my Frankfurt trip, what to do?

You can walk over all the bridges, two(Eiserner Steg and Holbein Steg) are even walking bridges only

Level Contributor
185 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Trying to plan my Frankfurt trip, what to do?

Thanks just had a nightmare though. Just found out my airport is miles away Hahn is not near Frankfurt. Checked to book ticket online and it’s 2h15m journey and 16euros. Many said only 90mins in forum not much better either.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,091 posts
60 reviews
9. Re: Trying to plan my Frankfurt trip, what to do?

Yeah, Frankfurt Hahn is missleading, the Airport is not even in the same State. The busride is rather smooth though, You just have two stops, one at the real Frankfurt Airport and the other at the Main trainstation. It is not to bad actually.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,470 posts
65 reviews
10. Re: Trying to plan my Frankfurt trip, what to do?

Ouch! Indeed, Hahn is nowhere near Frankfurt but 160 km away in the middle of nowhere. The only transit option is by bus - so that will substantially shrink the time available for sightseeing on the arrival and the departure day...

Reply to: Trying to plan my Frankfurt trip, what to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted