We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Frankfurt to Trier

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
From Frankfurt to Trier

Good Day All,

Me and my wife to be will be traveling to Frankfurt at the end of august. We will arrive on a Sunday, and so I though the best thing Would be to take a train from Frankfurt airport, to some point on the Mosel, then ride down, and spend the night in Trier.

Is this possible to do this within a day?

Or would it be more comfortable to train from Frankfurt to some point on the Mosel, Spend the night, then take a boat ride the next day?

Will anything be open on a Sunday?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Frankfurt to Trier

It mainly depends on your arrival time in Frankfurt. You can look up the schedules on bahn.de but if you are ready to arrive in Trier later in the evening I don´t see any problems.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
512 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Frankfurt to Trier

Sundays are pretty quiet in Germany. Stores are generally closed. Restaurants and gas stations open. Looks like about a 3 hour ride to Trier. Depending on time of arrival you should be fine.

www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml

The wine fests on the Mosel will start end of August first week of September. Bernkastel is on the 4-6 through September..

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Frankfurt to Trier

It is about 3 1/2 hours by train from Frankfurt Airport Regional Bahnhof to Trier Hbf, changing in Koblenz at the confluence of the Rhein and the Mosel Rivers. By "ride down at some point" I assume you mean by boat? The K-D boats travel between Cochem on the Mosel to Koblenz. I'm not aware of any for day trips that travel between Trier and Cochem on a daily basis.

If your goal for this time is Trier, I would suggest: by train from the Frankfurt Airport to Trier, day sightseeing, overnight in Trier, then early train to Cochem to take the K-D boat to Koblenz. The K-D boat departure would determine whether this is feasible. You might prefer to go to Cochem for the night then take the boat in the am. It takes most of the day to do the entire trip from cochem to Koblenz.

But I wonder if the time involved wouldn't be better utilized with a day or overnight on the Rhein in the Middle Rhein Valley, among the castles and vineyards there, unless that is an area you have already seen?

I take the train from Frankfurt to the Mosel region nearly every year because I have elderly relatives who live in a village near there. It certainly is a lovely region to visit, though a day trip would barely scratch the surface.

See www.bahn.de (there is an English site) for train schedules and www.k-d.com for scheduled boats on the Mosel from Cochem to Koblenz. I think it travels just once a day.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Frankfurt to Trier

Wow! I am grateful for the extent of helpful knowledge, My full gratitude!

So, What does anyone think about my best route, as I am wanting to see Burg Eltz castle, and boat into Trier.

Our Main focus is to see the vineyards of Piesport, etc. See a castle or two, hang out in an old wonderful town, drink some good wine, beer, ans check out Roman ruins.

2 days is fine.

Then We will probably head to the black forest (as We are backpacking )

and on to Munich.

Again, Thank you so much!

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Frankfurt to Trier

Glad you're backpacking...great for train travel. I just don't know of a boat into Trier. My memory from many years ago is that there was one once. As said above, the K-D boat goes Cochem-Koblenz (downriver toward the Rhein) and return. I do not it departs Cochem at 1540 (3:40 pm) and arrives Koblenz 2000 (8 pm), a bit much for your time frame, and the upriver schedule from Koblenz would be really long. I'd take the little boat from Cochem to Beilstein, or from Traben-Trarbach to Bernkastel-Kues and return. These are smaller, and have several departures a day. You can easily find them along the riverfront.

6. Re: From Frankfurt to Trier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 01:18