We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rented car in Prague and Budapest

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rented car in Prague and Budapest

I am travelling to Frankfurt where I plan to rent a car to continue to Prague and Budapest for a two week vacation at the beginning of June. I have been trying to find estimates of prices in the web and noticed that the small print says that cars cannot be used in Hungary of the Check Republic. Any information on this? I will really appreciate it.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,188 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rented car in Prague and Budapest

Some rental cars allow to drive with their less expensive models to drive into the Czech Republic and Hungary.

For Prague and Budapest alone you don't need a car. Rather a hassle. Only if you want to visit places in the countryside along the route.

And if you plan a one-way rental expect a rather prohibitive international drop off fee.

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rented car in Prague and Budapest

Thank you very much. I have to start searching for an agency that will allow this. We would like to visit the countryside although we do not have information about it. If anybody has any tips regarding driving from Frankfurt (we will be arriving from Chile), to Prague, Budapest and Vienna. To you Abalada, thank you very much for your information and if you happen to know an agency that will allow it I will greatly appreciate it.

Dothan, Alabama
Level Contributor
9 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rented car in Prague and Budapest

I do believe Europcar does allow you to go anywhere (within reason), however some locations will require a bigger deposit on the car and full insurance. I would suggest taking the train from Frankfurt / between all your destinations and using a rental or local transportation at each stop. I love to drive myself around, but the train system here is second to none.

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rented car in Prague and Budapest

Thank you very much for your advice. I still feel better renting a car in Frankfurt for the whole period rather than renting in Prague and then again in Budapest and then having to come back to Frankfurt by train. We are two senior age woman with language handicap, although I speak English but with accent. We will think a little before making the decision but I sincerely thank you for your advice.

5. Re: Rented car in Prague and Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2013, 05:18