We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rudesheim too Touristy and Crowded??

DFW, TX
Level Contributor
8 posts
156 reviews
Rudesheim too Touristy and Crowded??

I booked three nights in Rudesheim, to end three weeks of travel, and prior to flying out of Frankfurt. Now, with further research, I'm questioning my judgement. There are several things there that we really wanted to do. However, I didn't realize it is a cruise port, and always crowded. Anyone have advice about how miserable it will be June 19-21 time frame? Also, is there a better choice of place to stay, within an easy drive to Frankfurt for a morning flight?

22 replies to this topic
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,065 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Rudesheim too Touristy and Crowded??

Rüdesheim is touristy, but I would not call it to touristy. It is not a cruise port whith huge ships, but rather the sighseing boats, but they stop at every village along the Rhein river, so that would make no difference where you stay in the area.

How busy it is depends also on the weather, but it is not like unbearable and in the evening most of the daytime tourists will be gone.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
6,245 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: Rudesheim too Touristy and Crowded??

My favorite town near here is Eltville. It s a short 5-10 train ride from Rüdesheim, has a great river promenade, ancient church, castle tower, moat filled with roses & flowers, lots of wineries and good restaurants, and 1 ship a day heads down the Rhine from here. Eberbach Monastery is a bus ride away and the town of Kiedrich is worth a visit too. There are many nice B&B type places here, but not the tourist hordes or cruises.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Rudesheim too Touristy and Crowded??

As the embodiment of the Rhine romanticism Rüdesheim has been a tourist destination ever since the late 1800s. It is a bit like a tacky Disneyland version of a winetown - but fun. With the boom in river cruises tourist numbers are growing steadily and in summer and fall and especially on weekends the town is very busy. It makes for a good base to go hiking along the Rhine, so one can easily escape the crowds. But if you want a generally quieter place without the tourist hordes I second Bornheimgirl's suggestion Eltville. Very pretty, very conveniently located, good restaurants and great wineries. http://www.rheingau.de/villages/eltville

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
939 posts
98 reviews
4. Re: Rudesheim too Touristy and Crowded??

Rüdesheim is a gorgeous little town. And that's why it's so popular. Tourists are attracted to nice places - think Barcelona, Prague etc but on a smaller scale.

There's some lovely walking in the forest above the town if that's your thing, or you could pop across to Bingen on the ferry. Or take a Rhine cruise. And the town itself has lots of places for eating, drinking, wine tasting, etc. My favourite place is the museum of mechanical musical instruments!

I think it's a lovely place, and it shouldn't be too crowded in June. Well, maybe fairly busy during the day but more relaxed in the evening. But yes, by all means stay in Eltville or elsewhere, then just join the hordes on a day trip to Rüdesheim...

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
5. Re: Rudesheim too Touristy and Crowded??

I like Rüdesheim. It has everything a tourist wants to see, and yes crowded it will be. And its hospitality and catering businesses are a bit worn, too. IMHO its worth an afternoon, but not two days. Presuming that you'll be touring from there (castles? wineries?), it might be still a good choice. If you would like to reconsider, you could settle also in the city of Mainz. That'll give you some more alternatives on dining and drinking and it'll change your radius of action. From here it's approx 30 mins to the Airport.

DFW, TX
Level Contributor
8 posts
156 reviews
6. Re: Rudesheim too Touristy and Crowded??

Thank you so much, for taking time to reply! I feel better about my choice, new.

DFW, TX
Level Contributor
8 posts
156 reviews
7. Re: Rudesheim too Touristy and Crowded??

Thank you! I saw your comments about Eltville, in an earlier post. I'm definitely going to try to work that in!

DFW, TX
Level Contributor
8 posts
156 reviews
8. Re: Rudesheim too Touristy and Crowded??

Thank you! We're there mid-week. I was hoping someone would say that was quieter!

DFW, TX
Level Contributor
8 posts
156 reviews
9. Re: Rudesheim too Touristy and Crowded??

I saw your earlier comments, and looked into Mainz. It does look like a good option. Thanks for your help.

DFW, TX
Level Contributor
8 posts
156 reviews
10. Re: Rudesheim too Touristy and Crowded??

Thanks for your input!

Reply to: Rudesheim too Touristy and Crowded??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted