We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

History of Wiesbaden Hospital

Charleston, South...
1 post
Save Topic
History of Wiesbaden Hospital

My dad was USAF. In 1956, I had surgery in a hospital in Germany. I was an infant at the time and my Dad has passed away so I have no one to ask this question. How can I find out if I did, indeed, receive care at Wiesbaden in the mid-1950's. I remember Dad saying that my surgery was done at the largest military hospital in Germany. According to information I'm finding on the internet, that would be Landstuhl. Just wondering if anyone knows what year the hospital at Wiesbaden was build and if maybe at the time of my surgery (1956), it was larger than the one at Landstuhl. I've never heard Dad talk of Landstuhl, but for some reason Wiesbaden sounds familiar to me. Advice for all...ask questions while your parents are young!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,358 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: History of Wiesbaden Hospital

Have a look into this mega-thread

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187346-i1573-k769…

also

time.com/time/…00.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiesbaden_Army_Airfield

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: History of Wiesbaden Hospital

The big hospital back in the 50's I believe, would have been 97th General Hospital in Frankfurt. This was the hospital that was the equivalent to Landstuhl today. Built in 1937 as a war hospital, it is quite massive. The Americans took it over right after the war ended, as Frankfurt was Headquarters. Eisenhower had his office at the IG Farben Building, which is today the University.

97th General Hospital pretty much closed down operations after the Irag war, becoming a contingency hospital. Then was run by the Air Force for a while, and then closed completely.

Renovation began to turn it into the consulate around 2002-2003 and was finished a couple years later.

Today, this former hospital is the largest American Consulate in the world.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: History of Wiesbaden Hospital

I was stationed at Landstuhl in the early 1970's. It was a large hospital built after WWII, locate away from cold war border in case of a Soviet invasion. There were 3 such hospitals built; the other two at Baumholder (became a clinic) and Neunkirchen (mothballed). In 1970 and a while before, there were two specialty hospitals in Germany: Landstuhl and Frankfurt, located respectively close to two major military air bases at Ramstein and Frankfurt for medevac purposes. Landstuhl and Frankfurt had overlapping capabilities.

It looks as though Landstuhl came on line in the early 1950's.

…army.mil/resources/history.aspx

It was a large physical plant though may not have developed its specialty services by 1956.

Wiesbaden was one of several community hospitals in the 1970's.

Regards, Gary

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,358 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: History of Wiesbaden Hospital

Quote of the Time article (from 1980) I linked above

"With its 20 white concrete buildings, 235 beds and 844 staff members, the U.S. Air Force hospital in Wiesbaden, West Germany, is the biggest and best-equipped American military medical facility in Europe."

It was also there where Jimmy Carter greeted the released Tehran embassy hostages (21. Jan. 1981).

Only after the hospital was later turned over from the air force to the army Landshut hospital became more important.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: History of Wiesbaden Hospital

These might be interesting for you to read, though they are about the 97th General Hospital in Frankfurt.

bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php…

geocities.com/fhs63-66/Frankfurt_closes.html

Asheville, NC
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: History of Wiesbaden Hospital

I was stationed at the US Air Force Hospital, Wiesbaden, 1966-69. It was origionally a German Air Force hospital from WWII possibly earlier. Landstuhl was also open at the same time you had surgery, only it was a US Army facility. Since your dad was in the Air Force, you probably had your surgery done at Wiesbaden. The National Military Records Center in St. Louis claims to have inpatient records from Wiesbaden, but the only way to know is to contact them directly.

archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/.

Good Luck

7. Re: History of Wiesbaden Hospital

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2010, 01:17