We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koln to Dortmund by regional train

2 posts
Koln to Dortmund by regional train

Hi,

Can you help me please... I can't find anywhere the ticket price for regional trains in Germany. I want to travel from Koln to Dortmund and I want to find the cheapest way traveling by train.

I've already try bahn.de but there are listed only ICE, IC, ABR trains.

I'm interested what is the price for a regional train between those two cities and what is the travel time.

Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Koln to Dortmund by regional train

VRR network map:

https:/…bb_regionalverkehrsplan_2018.pdf

Journey planner is on homepage: https://www.vrr.de/en/index.html

Hope that helps.

Edited: 19 October 2018, 02:49
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,887 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Koln to Dortmund by regional train

ABR are regional trains.

In any case, go to Bahn.de and select "only local transport" option.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
3. Re: Koln to Dortmund by regional train

DB timetable

https:/…en

To: Dortmund Hbf

and select "only local transport".

NRW fare tickets cover all local public transport: regional trains, S-Bahn (suburban) trains, trams, regional and city buses. The tickets are not point-to-point but zone-to-zone (city-to-city) tickets. You can travel on such a ticket from anywhere in Cologne to anywhere in Dortmund.

1. generally

DB timetable knows not all local public transport tariffs. Sometimes it displays only which tariff applies, sometimes just "fares not available". Than you have to find out inside which local public transport association (Verkehrsverbund) this is and check with them.

https:/…BCnde_in_Deutschland.png

2. your trip to Dortmund

To where in Dortmund?

a) airport?

Note that the shuttle bus from Dortmund Hbf to the airport is not covered by a NRW-fare ticket. You can reach the airport also by a combination of tram to Aplerbeck and city bus from there. This route is covered.

b) Signal-Iduna-Park (stadium)

If you have a match ticket this covers the VRR (local public transport association). As Cologne is inside the VRS and not the VRR you need additionally only a ticket from Cologne to Langenfeld(Rheinl). VRS price level 3, single trip ticket is EUR 5,10.

For a day trip to Dortmund the NRW SchönerTagTicket day ticket is the better deal. And if you're not traveling alone the mini group version of this ticket. This day tickets are however on weekdays only valid from 9am. All day on Sa or Su.

Edited: 19 October 2018, 03:08
2 posts
4. Re: Koln to Dortmund by regional train

Thank you for your response.

We are need to travel from Koln Hbf to Dortmund Hbf. We are thinking to make a little walk to center by foot, 2 hours, not more, and then to take train from Dortmund hbf to Holzwickede, from where to walk on foot to the airport. It is possible this scenario?

We are two, 31 and 28 years, and we will make this journey on 18th december.

We are leaving the hotel in Koln at 08:00 am and we must be at the airport in Dortmund at most 01:00 pm.

Now you can find us a better deal?

Thanks a lot.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
5,320 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Koln to Dortmund by regional train

bahn.de (or bahn.com) is the right site. But they'll always give you the fastest connection, which often includes an ICE.

If you don't want that, tick "local trains" to the bottom right when searching for your connection, and only local trains such as the RE will be displayed.

Bochum, Germany
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Koln to Dortmund by regional train

It is very easy for 2 people.

You buy the „Schöner Tag Ticket NRW“ for 2 people which is 45 Euros. It covers the ride from Cologne to Dortmund and also the onward journey from Dortmund Hbf to Holzwickede.

At Bahn.com select „only local/regional trains“ to find a suitable connection.

Reply to: Koln to Dortmund by regional train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about North Rhine-Westphalia