We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nuremberg - worth visiting

Danville, California
4 posts
1 review
Nuremberg - worth visiting

Is it worthwhile to spend some time in Nuremberg? Are there enough things to do there for one or two days in September?

Thank you

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
361 reviews
1. Re: Nuremberg - worth visiting

Mos def Rog.

Nazi Documentation Center and strolling through their beautiful altstadt is definitely worth one full day.

Edited: 28 July 2010, 16:43
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
11,292 posts
2. Re: Nuremberg - worth visiting

More than one full day.

My tips about Nürnberg are here: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/8082/

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,282 posts
122 reviews
3. Re: Nuremberg - worth visiting

We really enjoyed Nuremberg - based ourselves there for 4 nights. We spent about a day and a half in Nuremberg, plus evenings. It is a nice town.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: Nuremberg - worth visiting

Nuremberg is not a place I would base. We were there last year for an overnight and it was ok but we much preferred Wirzburg as a base for the area.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
8,269 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Nuremberg - worth visiting

I was once in Nürnberg for a few nights and wouldn't really advise it. The center is pleasant but I think other towns are more interesting. Such as München and Würzburg

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Nuremberg - worth visiting

For a professional view, Michelin Green Guide gives Nürnberg two out of three stars just like Würzburg, Regensburg and Bamberg. Of course, what counts is what it would mean to you.

There are three churches in Nürnberg from the 14C & 15C that I enjoyed best of the town sights: Frauenkirche, Sebalduskirche and Lorenzkirche. I am really impress what could be built without power equipment in this earlier age. These churches help make the Altstadt an attractive place to visit.

I prefer spending time in Würzburg or Regensburg, but Nürnberg is not a waste of time. We had the good fortune to live there for 18 months and never ran out of things to see and do.

Regards, Gary

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,854 posts
7. Re: Nuremberg - worth visiting

If you use public transport Nuremberg has a few advantages as a base. It's the network knot for northern Bavaria. And you can reach places like Bamberg and Rothenburg ob der Tauber cheap on VGN tickets. VGN is the local public transport association of the Greater Nuremberg area.

Nuremberg's old city is the biggest which is still nearly complete walled (see plan):

…nuernberg.de/englisch/e_start.htm

Albeit the old town was destroyed to 90% in WWII and is thus largely a remake.

Documentation Centre Nazi Party Rally Grounds

museums.nuremberg.de/documentation-centre/

kubiss.de/kulturreferat/…stationen.htm

Than there are quite a number of interesting museums in Nuremberg. E.g.

- Germanisches Nationalmuseum

http://www.gnm.de/index_en.html

http://www.gnm.de/schausammlungen.html

As Nuremberg was for centuries the most important city for art and artisanship of the German speaking world, this museum has also the most important collection in this field. Like e.g. the oldest globe existing.

- DB Museum (German Railway Museum)

deutschebahn.com/site/dbmuseum/en/start.html

8. Re: Nuremberg - worth visiting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2011, 01:17