We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhine in Flames - Help

Sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Rhine in Flames - Help

Hi there,

I will be going to Cologne on the 5 May 2012 and I just found out that there is this Rhine in Flame in Bonn - could anyone let me know if there are anywhere I can get tickets for one of the cruises (which departs after 5 pm as I am only arriving in Cologne at 12 pm).

Also, are there any ticket stand around the Rhine river at Bonn for me to get tickets or do I need to buy them upfront ? Where would be a good spot if I want to watch this on the riverbank (I have not been to Germany before so would like to get as much info as possible).

Also, what is the best way to get from Cologne to Bonn and which is the best stop to get to the river ?

Thanks everyone - much appreciate it if you can assist.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
16,267 posts
128 reviews
1. Re: Rhine in Flames - Help

Here you can buy tickets for the river cruise in advance

www.eventim.de/rhein-in-flammen-tickets.html…

I can´t tell you about the best places to watch this spectacle as I have never been there at this event.

Sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Rhine in Flames - Help

Thanks for that. Any idea if tehre are any which I can get at the riverside itself on the day ?

Thanks.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
41,095 posts
3. Re: Rhine in Flames - Help

Another ticket source

www.bonnticket.de/suchergebnisse.html…

You only need tickets if you want to be on one of the boats. To watch this from the riverbanks is free. But note that this is not a single point event.

boat route

rhein-in-flammen.com/de/bonn_schiffsroute.ht…

River promenade fests are in Linz, Remagen, Bad Honnef, Königswinter and at the Bonner Rheinaue (between the old city and Bad Godesberg).

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freizeitpark_Rheinaue

To the Rheinaue you can get there by Stadtbahn (mixture of tram and metro) - various stops. To the other places by train.

rail map VRS

vrsinfo.de/fileadmin/…SVP2012_Gesamt.pdf

The distances of the rail lines between Bonn and Remagen/Linz are not as big as it looks on this map - the space is here just needed for the stop names. The Rhine is from all these stops/stations in walking distance.

But note that this is no event where you should try to get to last minute (or hour). The event attracts some 300.000-400.000 spectators. There will be extra trains esp. after the end.

Sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Rhine in Flames - Help

thanks for the links - by the way, do any of you know where the ship departs (unfortunately everything is in german and I cant work out where the departure point are).

also, are there any english website which sells the cruise or any coach tours departing from cologne ?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
41,095 posts
5. Re: Rhine in Flames - Help

The eventim website and booking process is pretty much in English.

> are there any english website which sells the cruise ... from cologne?

There are no more cruises offered than the bonnticket has. These are partly also sold by eventim. There are no cruises anymore available from Cologne - if there are any at all as this would mean quite a long time on board.

> are there any english website which sells coach tours... from cologne?

Cologne to Bonn by bus is never a good idea. During Rhine in Flames the closer access roads will also be closed for the traffic.

Cou could book the MS Rheingold through eventim. Cheapest offer still available and latest departure.

MS Rheingold

http://hoelzenbein.de/bilder/hochaufloesend/

This boat departs at 18:30. You can get there really close by Stadtbahn U66 or walk from Königswinter train station (1 km).

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Köln Hbf

Destination: Königswinter Fähre

Destination: Königswinter

and select as means of transport "only local transport".

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
41,095 posts
6. Re: Rhine in Flames - Help

Small correction. The MS Rheingold will depart from the BPS (Bonner -Personenschfiffahrt) pier. Which is the first one and 50 m from the Stadtbahn stop Clemens-August-Strasse and just 400 meters from Königswinter train station.

Destination: Königswinter, Clem.-August-Str.

Sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Rhine in Flames - Help

thanks for the info.

i finally decided to get MS Germania which I understand departs from Bundeshaus pier.

I will be travelling from Cologne - anyone can advise what will be the best way to get there and where the pier is actually located ?

Many thanks

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
41,095 posts
8. Re: Rhine in Flames - Help

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Köln Hbf

Destination: Bonn Heussallee/Museumsmeile

map

worldccbonn.com/fileadmin/pdf/anfahrtsplan-b…

photo with - from the left - the Posttower (with yellow-red DHL logo) and the Langer Eugen with the blue-white UN logo

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/91/Federa…

Buy in Cologne a mini group day ticket to Bonn which is EUR 22,70 (VRS price level 4). Cheaper than 2 x 2 singles. Valid till 3am next day (thus you can return past midnight).

9. Re: Rhine in Flames - Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 19:42