We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A strange choice to make: Toledo or Gibraltar

Indianapolis...
9 posts
Save Topic
A strange choice to make: Toledo or Gibraltar

I am planning a trip to Spain, and my time is limited.

At present I have 3 nights in Madrid, 3 nights in Seville and 2 nights in Granada. I am planning on taking a day trip from Madrid to Toledo and a day trip from Seville to Cordoba.

Lately I have been thinking of changing that and eliminating the day trip to Toledo in order to make an enroute detour to Gibraltar between Seville and Granada.

Any opinions on this?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A strange choice to make: Toledo or Gibraltar

I know everyone has different tastes, but Toledo for me is a gem, deserving a lot more time than the 'daytrip' most visitors give to it, versus Gibraltar, one of the most 'missable' places I ever been (seeing the monkeys and the bobbies was fun, but it was en route, we already knew the area, and we had nothing better to do on that day)

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A strange choice to make: Toledo or Gibraltar

Toledo is a wonderful treasure - Gibraltar is a dated/rather scruffy bit of Britain in the Sun.

I know which I would choose!

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A strange choice to make: Toledo or Gibraltar

I agree wholeheartedly with the previous posters. I wouldn't hesitate to choose Toledo over Gibraltar.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,088 posts
3,466 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A strange choice to make: Toledo or Gibraltar

I cast my vote for Toledo. It is unique in this world. Everyone falls in love with it. The El Greco paintings found in the city are marvelous.

karachi
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A strange choice to make: Toledo or Gibraltar

Toledo vs Gibraltar? A ”strange choice" indeed! Let me be honest with you over here. I have not been to Gibraltar and have no overwhelming desire to see it either. Toledo however in my estimation should rank as the travel destination of a lifetime. The daytrip tag associated with it, as wisely pointed out by Belsaita is unfortunate. The town which represents the confluence of three great faiths- Christianity, Judaism and Islam is monument studded and could easily occupy several deeply absorbing days for the traveller in pursuit of architecture, art and history. The treasure filled Santa Maria Cathedral, the two synagogues- El Transito and Santa Maria La Blanca, the Alcazar Museum, the El Greco masterpiece “The Burial of the Count of Orgaz” displayed in the 14th Century Iglesia de Santo Tome, Monasterio de San Juan de los Reyes (a personal favourite), Museo de Santa Cruz, the House of El Greco, Iglesia de Santiago del Arrabal, Iglesia de San Roman and Mezquita El Cristo de la Luz, all chronicle the tumult and glory of one of the most multifaceted periods of the nation’s history. Opt for an overnight stay. The town wears a magical air with the merciful departure of those daytrip throngs to Madrid, come late evening or earlier perhaps. Savour the locally produced marzipan- second only to the celebrated German variety from Lubeck and look out for that special damascene souvenir to remind you of a trip you are not likely to forget for a long time to come….

Indianapolis...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A strange choice to make: Toledo or Gibraltar

Many thanks to all of you. Toledo it is.

I understand spending only a day there is giving the destination a bit of a slight, but unfortunately that's the life of a working American and limited vacation time!

There are so many places in Spain that seem to be worthy of a visit. I wish I had more time.

karachi
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A strange choice to make: Toledo or Gibraltar

paradoxplace.com/Photo%20Pages/…20dlReyes.htm

paradoxplace.com/Photo%20Pages/…Transito.htm

paradoxplace.com/Photo%20Pages/Spain/Central…

paradoxplace.com/Photo%20Pages/…San_Roman.htm

Shanghai Region...
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,937 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A strange choice to make: Toledo or Gibraltar

Dear WorkingAmerican! :-)

At some point in my continuing passion for Spain, I spent a nanosecond toying too with the idea of visiting Gibraltar. The logo for Prudential Bache, the image of historical strength... I thought that maybe it was my destiny to climb that rock!! I went to the TA page and had a look. :-+

British sunbathers' paradise, 'ski lift' to the rock, etc Suddenly the vision didn't look so romantic or historical, lol!

Of your 2 choices, the TRUE romance lies in Toledo. TA Poet Laureate DariusKakalia has again summoned the muse to describe what you might find there. Me, I'm always practical.

I say: Bring a big suitcase, especially if you like marzipan.

http://www.mazapan.com/

Madrid, Spain
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A strange choice to make: Toledo or Gibraltar

Toledo, no doubt...

... unless the real reason of your trip is buying tax-free alcohol or tobacco. In that case (and ONLY in that case) I would vote for Gibraltar ;)

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,258 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A strange choice to make: Toledo or Gibraltar

What a very strange comparison.

Enjoy your vacation.