We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations Needed - Spanish Charm, Lovely Scenery

germantown, tn
Level Contributor
201 posts
25 reviews
Recommendations Needed - Spanish Charm, Lovely Scenery

Greetings,

I am scheduled to be in Cadiz on a cruise stop 23, October, for 10 hours from 7:00 to 17:00/5:00pm.

I want to get the most possible out of this priceless day in wonderful Spain.

Does anyone have recommendations for where to go for optimal Spanish charm, lovely scenery, and a bit of souvenir shopping?

We are open to taking a tour excursion, a train or a taxi.

My tastes are probably quite mundane to some, but to give you an idea of the type of places we enjoy.....In Italy I adore San Gimigiano, Voltare, Sorrento, Positano, Taormina and Ana Capri. In Greece we like Corfu Old Town, Santorini and Rhodes Old Town. Perhaps they are all a bit more "Disney-ish" than authentic, but they are all wonderful to me.

Thank you everyone for your recommendations.

Marilyn

Joyeria Dolmen
Gift & Speciality Shops
Especias y Plasticos Jaime
Gift & Speciality Shops
Natural Chic
Gift & Speciality Shops
16 replies to this topic
England
Level Contributor
7,836 posts
85 reviews
11. Re: Recommendations Needed - Spanish Charm, Lovely Scenery

Wonder what happened to Marilyn?

Seville, Spain
Level Contributor
219 posts
25 reviews
12. Re: Recommendations Needed - Spanish Charm, Lovely Scenery

Thanks everyone for the great info.

Seville, Spain
Level Contributor
219 posts
25 reviews
13. Re: Recommendations Needed - Spanish Charm, Lovely Scenery

Thanks to everyone for the great information.

london
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
14. Re: Recommendations Needed - Spanish Charm, Lovely Scenery

Cadiz old town is a bit like manhattan ( hope that doesn’t put you off ;), it is on a spit of land which cannnot be built on anymore so once you are in, there’s nowhere else to go except back out if that makes sense. It is beautiful, historic and evocative ( and also a little run down and careworn).

For me the beauty of Cadiz is revealed as you wonder around the streets, switching from square to street to alleyway to a view of the Atlantic and back to an old street and so on. Find a cafe that appeals to you, sit down have a coffee( in my experience coffee in Spain is always good, although not wonderful)or a freshly squeezed orange juice. Note the way the people hold themselves, the way they speak. Direct, unself conscious, Spanish.

.Aaaaaaah Cadiz. Wish I was there again.

germantown, tn
Level Contributor
201 posts
25 reviews
15. Re: Recommendations Needed - Spanish Charm, Lovely Scenery

Hello Everyone.

Thank you for the excellent advice and guidance for having a great port day. I'm especially glad to learn that rather than booking an expensive excursion, I can have an excellent Spanish experience just staying in Cadiz.

Thankfully it is rare, but sometimes port towns remind me of cities in America. Not terrible, but not charming either. Exploring the historic alleyways and squares in the oldest city in Europe should give me (and anyone else) a true taste of Spain.

Thank you all for the info, the resources for further research and the encouragement.

Marilyn

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
190 reviews
16. Re: Recommendations Needed - Spanish Charm, Lovely Scenery

You can download this guide (or pick one up at the tourist office) which gives four colour-coded walking routes around the city. We used it last November and it is excellent. You could probably cover most of the routes in a day bearing in mind there are no ‘must see’ museums, galleries etc in Cadiz.

cadizturismo.com/publicaciones/…

Edited: 03 September 2018, 03:03
Reply to: Recommendations Needed - Spanish Charm, Lovely Scenery
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cadiz
Recent Conversations